ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Transparent Background in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Welch
Transparent Background in AE
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:51:08 pm

Still learning here. I composed a simple animated text layer which appears to be composed with a transparent background. When I render it out in Make Movie and import it into Premier, it has a black background. There seems no way to specify a transparent background in AE composition settings.
Any suggestions on how to make BG transparent? Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Transparent Background in AE
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:58:20 pm

You need to render your movie with an alpha channel. First double check to make sure you have a transparent background by clicking on the "checkerboard" underneath the Comp Work area, if you see the checkerboard when you click it, you have transparency.

So press "shift+cntl+/" to add your comp to the render queue, choose your render settings, then choose your output module. You will need to choose one that supports an alpha channel. Quicktime-Animation is a good one, in that it's lossless and supports an alpha(though it delivers massively sized files). To activate the alpha go to Video Output > Channels and change it from the default of "RGB" to "RGB + Alpha" Now render away.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Mark Welch
on Oct 29, 2012 at 3:33:21 pm

that did it - thanks

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Oct 30, 2012 at 7:19:39 am

Mark

I always prefer to make a Custom Template for RGB + Alpha.

While in Render Queue, Click on the Small arrow head and select make Template. Edit the settings with RGB + Alpha.

Now, Now can also make this default Output Module and by Pressing Cntl/Cmnd while selecting it form the menu.

Vishesh Arora
3D and Motion Graphics Artist
Films Rajendra

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Oct 30, 2012 at 11:31:32 am

glad I could help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]