ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can I batch process? I need identical effect processing of multiple video files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Holmes
Can I batch process? I need identical effect processing of multiple video files
on Oct 26, 2012 at 9:15:06 pm

I have just joined Creative Cloud, so these are very basic questions.....sorry.

I shoot videos of live bands using two cameras, so I usually end up with around 25 separate songs per show and 50 separate files (2 cams, two files per song). All the files are: 1920x1080 resolution, 23.976p frame rate, Pro Res 422 codec.

I currently edit in FCPX and color correct in DaVinci Resolve.
Because of low light conditions, I often need to use the effect Neat Video to remove noise. However, FCPX doesn't like Neat Video: freezes up, will restart rendering sometimes, etc.

So, I need a way to take the color-corrected files from Resolve and process with Neat Video, then import them into FCPX for multi-cam editing. (If Premiere Pro handles Neat Video well, then I may switch from FCPX to Premiere Pro and do it all there.........but I need time to learn Premiere Pro).

So I decided to try After Effects for this. I just tested some files in AE and the Neat Video processing went well.
However, I need to batch process the files if possible. Currently for each file I am:
(1) Setting up a Composition
(2) Adding the Neat Video effect to the file
(3) Using the Neat Video window to adjust settings
(4) Setting the render settings.

With my approach I will have to set up 50 separate Compositions.

Questions:

(1) Can I batch process all 50 files, with one set of settings? (I tried using multiple files in one composition, but AE only rendered out the top file).

(2) Can I tell AE that I want the render settings to be the same as the imported files (resolution, frame rate, etc.), rather than having to enter the render settings each time? I just want the rendered files to be identical to the original files, except for Neat Video processing.

(3) Can I tell AE to simply render the length of the file, rather than having to set a render duration each time? I am now setting the render duration time at 10 minutes, since some songs go almost this long.......but some are much shorter than this.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can I batch process? I need identical effect processing of multiple video files
on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:14:46 pm

[Michael Holmes] "(1) Can I batch process all 50 files, with one set of settings?"

It's impossible to tell without screen shots, but I would say no, and here's why: I doubt the lighting conditions and exposures are identical from shot to shot or from file to file. What works for one may be a disaster for the other.

[Michael Holmes] "(2) Can I tell AE that I want the render settings to be the same as the imported files (resolution, frame rate, etc.), rather than having to enter the render settings each time?"

Yes: get to know the Output Module Templates. You can select or create a default Output Module to match the footage. Don't try this with H.264 footage... but then, you wouldn't be.

[Michael Holmes] "(3) Can I tell AE to simply render the length of the file, rather than having to set a render duration each time?"

In a roundabout way, yes: put the timeline cursor at the end of the clip in question by hitting the o (for Out Point) key, then hit the n (for eNd) key. You've now defined a Work Area, and AE defaults to rendering the Work Area. It may not be the Fast 'n Easy method you seek, but it works well.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthias Duyck
Re: Can I batch process? I need identical effect processing of multiple video files
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:15:52 pm

Old topic but for those still looking for it since it came very handy for batch processing Magic Lantern Raw files and cleaning them up.

You can import your files to AE, drag them to new comp, have it make a SINGLE new comp. Then use the REMOVE GRAIN effect, lower the amount but make sure temporal filtering is enabled, this is the best way of cleaning noise and similar to neat. Also set preview to final output. Then select all layers in comp and use the 'render layers' script from redefinery(google it). Set it to only do the length of the layer and place it somewhere.

Hope this helps for other users, significantly improves my raw workflow speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]