Aspect ratio wrong

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave RogersAspect ratio wrong
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 11:16:50 am

I have a video clip that is 720 x 576

Media info says its 720 x 576 16:9 bits/(pixel*frame) 0.612

If I play the clip VLC it plays as wide screen

But it was recorded 4 x 3 and After recognises that as if I import the clip to AE and use it to create a comp it displays in 4 x 3 aspect ratio but on export it outputs wide screen again

if I import it into Premiere it and use it to create a sequence it displays as wide screen

Can anybody tell me how I can get AE to export at the 4 x 3 ratio the comp viewer displays

I have searched and searched and tried as many export options as I can think of but I am stuck

Thanks for any advice

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Aspect ratio wrong
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 3:55:48 pm

Once you've imported the footage into After Effects you'll need to select it in the project panel and go to "Interpret Footage" (right click the footage and choose Interpret Footage > Main, or select the footage and press cmd-opt-G). At the bottom of this panel is the Pixel Aspect Ratio setting. It sounds like your footage is set to D1/DV PAL Widescreen (1.46), you should change this to D1/DV PAL (1.06).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dave RogersRe: Aspect ratio wrong
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 4:11:21 pm

Thanks for the reply Darby, but the problem is that it that displays correctly in the AE viewer but the output is wrong, it always out puts wide screen. How can I get it to output at 4/3

I checked what you suggested and it is set to 1.46 which seems to be what it should be set to ?

Thanks for any adice offered

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Aspect ratio wrong
by on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:50:35 pm

The pixel aspect ratio of the comp should match the pixel aspect ratio of the footage. Is that true? Do you have the comp's pixel aspect ratio compensation switch toggled so a 16x9 comp looks like a 4x3 comp?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:21:20 am

Thanks for the reply Dave

When I toggle the pixel aspect ratio switch it does switch to the wide screen view but that isn’t how the footage was recorded as this wide screen view has people distorted. It was recorded at 4 / 3 but everything that I can play the clip with VLC player etc. plays it wide screen.

How can I get it to export at 4/3

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2012 at 3:11:32 pm

[Dave Rogers] "When I toggle the pixel aspect ratio switch it does switch to the wide screen view but that isn’t how the footage was recorded as this wide screen view has people distorted. It was recorded at 4 / 3 but everything that I can play the clip with VLC player etc. plays it wide screen."

It sounds like your footage is set to D1/DV PAL Widescreen (1.46), you should change this to D1/DV PAL (1.06).

Also make sure that your composition is using D1/DV PAL (1.06).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2012 at 3:35:24 pm

Thanks Darby

I can only see D1/DV PAL (1.09) as an option but I interpreted the footage as that and exported without resizing and it worked. I can now play the clip in any player without being stretched to wide screen.

Thanks very much your help is really appreciated and thanks also to Dave LaRonde.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 19, 2012 at 2:38:21 pm

[Dave Rogers] "I can only see D1/DV PAL (1.09) "

Ahhh, yes. That'd be my apparent late blooming dyslexia striking again. It is in fact 1.09!

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Oct 19, 2012 at 4:18:08 pm

It was near enough to get me there, cheers buddy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]