ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Editing in H.264

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian BaldomeroEditing in H.264
by on Oct 15, 2012 at 9:18:47 pm

Hello,

I've been making the switch from FCP7/Motion to Adobe products. I've been told PPro can edit in H.264. I've been doing that relatively just fine with no noticable loss in quality. I was wondering if AE can edit in H.264 or is it recommended to convert the footage to a better readable format like ProRes422?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Editing in H.264
by on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:38:11 pm

You probably should be careful with H.264, both in Premiere and AE.

In premiere, you establish a codec to use for the edit timeline right away, and it will use just about any footage you want. Nice. But it will render at the very end, at the point of edit lock, for final delivery. So you want to pick a good codec right off.

In AE, long-gop codecs like H.264 slow the app way, WAY down when using effects that involve looking at previous frames and upcoming frames: anything involving time. Think Warp Stabilizer, Rotobrush, the venerable Echo Effect, Time Displacement, etc. For those cases, you may want to consider exporting individual clips to avoid tearing your hair out at render time.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lisa TalleyRe: Editing in H.264
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 6:38:30 pm

I've also made the switch from FCP7 to the Adobe Suite and I've been running with the 'program edits footage natively' feature without much thought to coding, especially with AE.

I work with DSLR footage a lot, and I'm very interested in how the H.264 footage slows the program down. What would you suggest coding the H.264 footage in to for AE?

Lisa Talley
Sacramento Video Production

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Editing in H.264
by on Oct 19, 2012 at 7:50:34 pm

I'd just re-read my previous post: I'm pretty sure I covered all my concerns with it, and how it should be used. If you don't have those demands on your footage in AE, don't worry. If you got the Premiere Code right from the get-go, you're also in good shape.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]