ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Objects bouncing around between keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tannie LowObjects bouncing around between keyframes
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:55:45 pm

I've come to realize I just don't understand the graph as well as I thought. I can't figure out why objects sometimes bounce around between keyframes.

When the two keyframes are the same position and linear, it stays still.

In the scenario I'm trying to achieve, I have the second position keyframe slightly more to the right than the first with the intention of having the object roll slightly to the right while it's displayed. But whether it's linear or easy-ease, it bounces around as seen.

What do I need to be looking for in the graph to correct these, or is there a more appropriate way to give the object some movement while displayed?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Objects bouncing around between keyframes
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:04:40 pm

What's happening is the boomerang effect caused most likely by the spatial interpolation of the keyframes being set to auto-bezier. Open up the layer with the position keyframes and click position to highlight all the keyframes. Now right-click a keyframe and choose Keyframe Interpolation. Change the Spatial Interpolation to Linear.

Also if you go to Edit > Preferences > General you can change the default spatial interpolation to be linear.

Here are couple of resources you might want to check out. FAQ: Why does my layer (camera) move back and forth between keyframes of eq...

Creative Cow AE Keyframe Boomerang Effect, Part 1 & 2

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tannie LowRe: Objects bouncing around between keyframes
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:16:37 pm

Awesome! Appreciate those links, very helpful. About to start the boomerang videos.

Any good references on really learning to master the graph editor? It seems like I'm missing something, or else I feel I should've been able to see the change happening within the curves - unless perhaps the keyframe types themselves override what you see.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Objects bouncing around between keyframes
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 6:36:05 pm

Create a little project with a boomerang effect. Now, open up your graph editor, look to the bottom of the graph, select the 2nd icon and change it from "Edit Speed Graph" to "Edit Value Graph" You should see the "boomeranging" now.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]