ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

disk cache auto overwrite?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garskedisk cache auto overwrite?
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 12:01:47 am

I thought that the After Effects disk cache would automatically over write old cache files when it becomes full. I'm getting a message that the disk cache is full.

Do I always have to manually delete my disk cache or is there some way to set disk cache to overwrite the oldest cache files?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: disk cache auto overwrite?
by on Oct 1, 2012 at 2:32:37 pm

What is the exact text of the message that you're getting?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Michael GarskeRe: disk cache auto overwrite?
by on Oct 2, 2012 at 2:59:20 am

Here's a screen grab:

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:06:00 am

That's not saying that your disk cache is full. It's saying that you don't have enough room on the disk to hold the entire amount of disk cache that is specified in your preference settings.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2012 at 4:56:07 pm

That can't be the case though. I've designated 170Gb to the disk cache on a 256Gb SSD drive. Only 153Gb of which is currently full. Strange that AE would be generating the message in the first place. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: disk cache auto overwrite?
by on Oct 3, 2012 at 2:40:55 am

You have assigned 170Gb on a drive that has 153GB already. 170GB + 153 GB = 323GB. AE is telling you that it is impossible to use the disc with those settings.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 3, 2012 at 3:01:50 am

The ae disk cache is the only thing on the hard drive. That 153gb is the portion of the 170gb that is used. I keep a large part of the drive empty so that there won't be space issues. I just need to know is it nessasary to manually empty the disk cache or is there a way to have it overwrite old files?

Also why would I receive this message if the entire 170gbs isn't in use?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:53:44 pm

> I just need to know is it nessasary to manually empty the disk cache

No.

> or is there a way to have it overwrite old files?

That happens automatically.

> Also why would I receive this message if the entire 170gbs isn't in use?

You must have other things on your disk causing it to be nearly full. After Effects will warn you if the size of the cache that you have specified is more than the room that you have on the disk (or even if the specified size would make the disk nearly full, since a full disk is itself a performance problem).

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:04:27 am

I think that I know where the disconnect is. The "media cache" I was counting as part of the Disk Cache but I see that must be separate and what's causing disk cache to say there isn't enough space remaining.

Is there a way to limit the media cache?

any articles on the differences between the two?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 8, 2012 at 7:57:49 pm

> any articles on the differences between the two?

Yes, in the After Effects documentation.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Oct 14, 2012 at 3:10:21 pm

I reset the Cache allocation from 170Gb to 150Gb ton ensure the drive would not fill:

The allocated cache space of 150Gb is close to filling up again (147.9Gb). Of the total usable disk space of 238.47Gb there is 85.25Gb unused. So the actual drive itself still has free space available.

"ADATA CACHE DRIVE" in disk manager:

Where data is on drive:

I am still receiving this message:

If the cache should automatically overwrite old cache files making it unnecessary for me manually empty the folder, then why am I still receiving this message given that the drive itself isn't close to being full?

I've searched online for people with a similar issue, or settings to control the cache folder auto overwrite but haven't found anything. It would be helpful not to have to trash all of my cache manually every time it gets close to being full.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: disk cache auto overwrite?
by on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:00:02 am

I also run into this annoying message. AE 11.0.2.12 Win7/64

I have a 256GB SSD drive dedicated to Adobe's cache (238GB Total). Currently 175GB is used in the AE Disk cache leaving 63GB available for the media cache; 30GB is free.

Currently I tell AE to use 175GB for the disk cache. In the past I used 100GB. I have cleared the cache many times. Every time the message comes back as soon as the cache hits the limit specified.

While I recognize I could choose "never notify", and it may auto-overwrite, the fact that the message comes up at all in this condition tells me there was an oversight in the programming (ie bug). Forcing AE to cache the workarea shows me that it at least is overwriting the disk cache, thus demonstrating the foolishness of the message.

Cory

--
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]