ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How not to have to re-cut out a layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy WalterHow not to have to re-cut out a layer
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 12:32:20 pm

I took a portrait picture of a man.

I duplicated it.

I placed that in a layer above the first picture.

I cut out the lower jaw with the pen tool, so to speak (pardon the pun).

I placed a picture of an open mouth in between the two.

I am able to manipulate the lower jaw using audio files or manually to make it look like the man speaks.

I create video files of him speaking various things to go various places in a video of a different man moving about.

I then place the talking head video file in a new project as a layer above a segment of the video of a man moving about.

I then cut out the head of in the takling man layer with the pen tool to make it look like his head is the head of the man in the video who is moving about.

Since the video of the man moving about has him going into and out, as well as changing sizes, I cut up that video into segments.

I now place the talking head video into each segment but have to cut it out again and again in each segment.

When I cut out the talking head in the base talking head video and then created a video with that, in that created video there was a black background - so I still had to cut out the head in the ultimate video segment.

I tried screen mode, which got rid of the black background, but the head is not somewhat transparent even though the opacity is set to 100%

What can I do so I don't have to keep cutting out the head each time? The head outlie is exactly the same in each sub-video.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: How not to have to re-cut out a layer
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:38:16 am

Mr. Walter
If there is a problem related to Black area, Try to key it out.

For this you can use
Luma key - Key out Darker , play with Threshold or Tolerance.

Red Giant's Knoll Unmult
Here are the links:

With just one click it will remove the black bg. Also try to enable Collapse Trasformation as blending modes may work differently in Precoms(if any).

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved