ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pixelated font characters

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Cohen
Pixelated font characters
on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:48:13 pm

I've seen this question in various ways, but I haven't been able to find it specific to what I'm doing.

I have a simple aep file with an alpha channel and some text over a sliding graphic. I have no idea how to render this thing so that the text looks smooth. It always seems to come out jagged at the edges for some reason.
I've tried the "toggle pixel aspect ratio correction" button, the fast previews button to off, and even different output formats, to no avail.

The size of the video this is going in is 740x480, widescreen aspect.

Any help would save my hair from being pulled out! .aep file link here

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Pixelated font characters
on Sep 25, 2012 at 1:03:32 am

From a project standpoint, there is nothing wrong with your set up, so the question is how are you rendering this file?

Toggle pixel aspect is only helping you see things more clearly and placement better when working in the comp window, doesn't affect your final render at all. Not exactly sure what you mean by fast previews.

If you want a perfect render you need to create a lossless compression like QT_Animation using "Best Settings". Of course a lossless compression produces extremely large files that generally don't play back well on most computers. Here's a little more information on final renders:

FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a...

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Max Cohen
on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:42:10 pm

I've tried both lossless .avi as well as .mp4 and .mov with similar results.

This has a transparent background, so the settings are usually RGB+Alpha. I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like that would be a problem for the text.(?)

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 26, 2012 at 12:53:47 am

Okay, couple of things. First you are to a video rendering 740 x 480, do you mean 720 x 480? Second, If the final video is supposed to be 720 x 480, you should be working in 720x480 WS comp, not a 872 x 486 at a 1.21 PAR( you would use square pixels if you were working at that size)

I can tell you depending on how the video is being imported into the final editing application that scaling the 872 x 486 to 720 x 480 can cause the jaggedness you are seeing, most likely because fields are being flipped and text is being scaled oddly.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Max Cohen
on Sep 26, 2012 at 4:05:58 pm

The aspect ratio was a type-o. It is 720 x 480.

I started it with 720 x 480, but I'm not sure if things like pixel-correction changed that? I do know that when I press that button the font becomes really clear, but the size of the comp shrinks horizontally. I guess I don't know what that button is supposed to be for. I just know my font looks better when I have it on.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:38:37 am

Your computer monitor uses square pixels, Standard Def TV does not, it uses pixels that are in ratios that are either .9 or 1.21 Wide to Height. When you create a 720 comp, you have created 720 pixels and for clarity it's easier to work looking at the pixels displayed in a square pixel composition. When you toggle that button it stretches everything 1.21 to show you what it will look on a wide screen display and that stretches things and makes it look bad on your monitor, but it will be fine on a tv set.

If you want to see the effect of this choose the circle tool, hold down shift and make circle. When you press the button and go to square pixels, your circle is squished, press the button to compensate and see what it will look like on a Wide Screen it will become perfect again.

Again, I looked at your the project you uploaded, if you need to deliver a Wide screen 720x480 video, you need to work in a 720x480 comp 1.21 pixels...You can use the NTSC D1 Widescreen preset.

Check out this article on Pixel Aspect Ratio, it will explain it a lot better than I can.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Max Cohen
on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:17:43 pm

Thanks for that. It's informative.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Dec 11, 2012 at 6:03:58 pm

You are welcome, hope it was helpful

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]