ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

No 'Point of Interest' on Camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan StoneNo 'Point of Interest' on Camera
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 1:00:55 pm

Hello all,

Just a simple question I hope you can help with. I tried to help a colleague animate a camera in AE CS5 (Mac), and found that the Point of Interest variable simply doesn't exist. I've never had this problem before, so I don't know if there's just a simple on/off switch somewhere. Google doesn't seem to be able to tell me anything.

Many thanks,

Ryan Stone | Creative Director

Lambda Films Ltd.
Video Production & Marketing Company

Retina Burn Blog
Online Video, Film & TV Blog

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: No 'Point of Interest' on Camera
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 4:12:58 pm

When I open my copy of AE CS5, make a comp, make a camera and view the camera layer's Transform properties, I see the Point of Interest property at the very top.

What do you see?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: No 'Point of Interest' on Camera
by on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:20:52 pm

Mr. Stone

To be more specific about the point of interest, Change the Camera View(Below Viewer Panel) to Other views(say Top, Front, etc) and adjust as required.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: No 'Point of Interest' on Camera
by on Sep 21, 2012 at 5:31:25 pm

Press Cntl+Alt+O and make sure that Orient to Point of Interest is selected.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tommy DimmelRe: No 'Point of Interest' on Camera
by on Dec 15, 2014 at 2:09:05 am

I know it's been over 2 years since you posted this question, but I too ran into the same problem and I believe the solution is to make sure that your camera type is a "Two-Node Camera". You can adjust this by clicking on your camera layer, then pressing command+shift+Y. At the top left (in After Effects CC) you will be able to select the type (either "one-node" or "two-node"). If it's set on "one-node" it doesn't require a point of interest to orient itself, and will therefore not have this as an adjustable option. You can read more about this here:

Specifically, it says:

One-Node Camera or Two-Node Camera. A one-node camera orients around itself, whereas a two-node camera has a point of interest and orients around that point. Making a camera a two-node camera is the same as setting a camera’s auto-orientation option (Layer > Transform > Auto-Orient) to Orient Towards Point Of Interest. (See Auto-Orientation options.)"

Return to posts index

zamir hernandezRe: No 'Point of Interest' on Camera
by on Jun 29, 2016 at 5:07:20 am

Thank you so much Tommy!

Return to posts index

Ryan TalbotRe: No 'Point of Interest' on Camera
by on Aug 7, 2016 at 12:32:10 am

Thank you so much! I just ran into this problem as well and you're absolutely correct. Glad to see there's someone helpful on these forums once and a while.

Return to posts index

Tommy DimmelRe: No 'Point of Interest' on Camera
by on Aug 9, 2016 at 11:41:13 pm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved