ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Comp setting for mini DV footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victoria Murphy
Comp setting for mini DV footage
on Sep 15, 2012 at 10:43:26 pm

i am working with some NTSC mini DV footage (sad but true) in AE CS5.5. What footage setting should I select when I create a comp? Or, perhaps a better questions is, what do I need to take into account when I select the setting? The aspect ratio of the footage is 4:3. I am thinking I should choose one of the following: NTSC DV, NTSC D1, or NTSC Square Pixel.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Comp setting for mini DV footage
on Sep 15, 2012 at 10:55:05 pm

If it's 4x3 then NTSC DV is the preset you want.

Will you be finishing in AE? I ask because the other consideration is what/where is the next stop for you animation. I only mention this because if you are going to an Avid next, then I would suggest working in a D1 comp. There is a 6 pixel differnce, but those 6 pixels can cause some real ugliness in the Avid.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Sep 15, 2012 at 11:13:42 pm

Hi Johnny. I'll be finishing in FCP; most likely FCP7. (I know, mini DV, FCP, I'm stuck in the past, but I started this project a while back). Is there anything I should take into consideration re this?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 15, 2012 at 11:26:38 pm

I'm verynot familiar with FCP, haven't ever used it, but I believe you can set up your project to any size you want. That being the case you shouldn't have any problems at all. You could double check on one of the FCP boards to be sure though.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Sep 16, 2012 at 7:06:33 pm

Will do. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2012 at 6:41:35 pm

If you can render in ProRes 422, you'll be happy. You can copy-paste all the edited clips in the current DV timeline into a brand-new ProRes 422 timeline, then put your clips rendered in AE into it.

You will retain far more image quality by doing this. You'll have to render or export at some point, and DV is simply a very lossy codec.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Sep 19, 2012 at 7:00:48 pm

Hi Dave, Thanks for your suggestion. ProRes 422 does not appear to be an option in my Output Module Settings under the Format drop-down menu, or under Video Output/Format Options/Video Codec. Is ProRes 422 a plug in that I need to get? (I see from Wikipedia that it is an “intermediate codec” made by Apple.) Also, ProRes 422 is not an option when I create a new comp.

(BTW, I see from the Adobe site that you respond to an enormous number of posts. Thank you for that. I’m not very familiar with the workings and etiquette of user forums. If, in the course of working on my project, I return to this suggestion of yours with more questions, will you see that, or should I start a fresh post?)
Victoria

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 19, 2012 at 8:01:27 pm

Perhaps I made a bad assumption, but I thought you were cutting in FCP version 6 at the very least. If you run AE on the same machine AND it's at least FCP 6 or later, you should have ProRes 422.

A good alternative would be Quicktime's PNG codec, but you'll have to re-render the footage later.

The reason for this: DV is very lossy. You lose a lot of image quality when rendering DV footage to a DV codec.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Victoria Murphy
on Oct 6, 2012 at 7:34:35 pm

Hi Dave. I (now) have FCP7 on my computer; it has the ProRes 422 codec. AE still does not show that codec as an option in the render settings.

To recap where I currently am in my workflow: I have imported the DV footage through FCP. I am now importing some clips into AE. Once I finish the opening sequence in AE, I will render it and import it into FCP, where I will create the rest of the project. I understand that you are recommending that I do my final FCP render using ProRes 422. Does that codec affect any part of my work in AE? If not, is there anything I can do to keep my footage as lossless as possible as I work with it in AE? (Please let me know if you don't understand my question.)

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2012 at 5:24:38 pm

If you have QT X installed in addition to QT7, you need to remove it from your computer's view. You don't have to take if completely off the machine, but you can change the application's file name, effectively making it invisible.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]