ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

slide straight effect lag

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Mark
slide straight effect lag
on Sep 14, 2012 at 3:59:24 am

I created a white bar in adobe after effects CS6 and have added the slide effect for it to slide from left to right, but the issue I am having it that is is very laggy when playing back. I have an imac and macbook pro so it should not be an issue, so what is the problem.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: slide straight effect lag
on Sep 14, 2012 at 12:00:32 pm

What are you doing to playback, a RAM preview or are you just pressing the spacebar to play. AE isn't an editor but a graphics compositor and as such playback is pretty limited.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Sep 15, 2012 at 12:35:33 am

Just playing it back with the space bar, it lags a lot when crossing the screen, also when rendering and playing it on quicktime it seems to not smoothly cross the screen it just lags but not as much.
(its going fast when sliding across)
Any way it can slide smoothly across without lag?

Thanks.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 15, 2012 at 3:44:00 am

You need to RAM preview to get a smooth playback while in AE. Standard preview will render frames and play cached frames as fast as it can, without audio or any guarantee for real time playback.

RAM preview mixes your audio, renders your comp (according to the current and RAM preview settings), saves the frames in RAM, and plays them back in real time. It's limited by the amount of RAM you have available.

FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a...

Hopefully the links above explained why it's not playing back smoothly. As to what you can do to make it better, it depends...what is your deliverable, if it's just for yourself, you would want to find a codec with a bitrate that your computer handle and that looks good. On my machine .wmv's and h.264 work really well, but you are on a MAC and I don't know what plays well on those machines.

If you are delivering it for someone else, you want to give them the highest quality possible and just learn to live with the fact that the highest quality generally won't playback well on PC.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Sep 15, 2012 at 6:50:31 am

Thanks for your time and help. How do I use RAM preview in AE?

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Sep 15, 2012 at 6:55:42 am

Thanks for your time and help. How do I use RAM preview in AE? and this is just for my self

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Sep 15, 2012 at 6:59:43 am

But what is the difference between rendering it and playing it in RAM mod?

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Sep 15, 2012 at 7:09:40 am

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP you have always help me and gave results so thank you John :)

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Sep 15, 2012 at 1:39:15 pm

From the last response I'll assume you discovered to RAM preview you just need to press "0" on the number keypad.

But what is the difference between rendering it and playing it in RAM mod?
Rendering creates a file that you can transfer to another edit system, the web, or some other deliverable. You base your render settings on what that deliverable will be. For instance if I need a client to take a look at a idea I will make a small file to show him and if I get approval I will create a uncompressed final file that I will then import into my edit system for placement into final video.

RAM previewing temporarily renders & stores each frame to your RAM. RAM previews are limited to the amount of RAM you have. So depending on the duration of your composition and its size(1920x1080, 1280x720...) and the amount of RAM you have, you might be able to preview 10 seconds to minutes of footage.

Take a look at this http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h..., at #4 there are links to very good tutorials for getting started and learning AE. Great stuff for people who are new to the programe.

Glad I was able to help and that you are having fun with MotionGrx.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Sep 15, 2012 at 10:53:51 pm

Once again thank you for your help.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]