ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pr Pro link to Ae issues-CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nader subaihPr Pro link to Ae issues-CS6
by on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:43:50 pm

Hi,
I am attempting to replace clips in Pr Pro with composition in Ae. I am using CS6 and I am new to Ae.
The issue that i am having and is that each clip in my video tracks in Pr becomes its own comp in Ae. so rather than getting one comp with one layer for each video clip. i get one comp with a bunch of comps for each clip. importing one clip from Pr (even without audio), translate to a composition within the main composition.
inside each sub comp is the original source video, unedited.
I saw a video of someone doing dynamic link and they are not getting a comp but rather they get a clip as a layer.

how could i get the same results? is it something i am doing wrong? I would like to get one comp with only video layers .
thanks in advance.
Nader

Return to posts index

Robert HeadrickRe: Pr Pro link to Ae issues-CS6
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 4:43:29 pm

He actually is getting a comp in that video, the difference is that since he's only dynamically linking one clip from his timeline, you're seeing inside that comp (same as you've been getting with your tests, where within each "sub comp" you're seeing the source video, unedited). If he were to continue clicking additional clips in his Premiere Pro timeline and selecting File --> Adobe Dynamic Link --> Replace With After Effects Composition, each one would add a new comp to his AE file, and inside that comp would be the single video clip that he had sent over from Premiere.

This is the normal, expected workflow if you're going through your timeline and individually picking out single clips to send to After Effects one at a time.

It sounds like what you're wanting to do is send your entire Premiere Pro timeline (or a large chunk of it, at least) into a single After Effects composition where each clip is its own layer and they are arranged with the same order and timing as in your Premiere timeline. To do that, select all of the clips that you want to send, then select File --> Adobe Dynamic Link --> Replace With After Effects Composition. This will create a single composition in After Effects with each clip represented by two layers (one video, one audio) and your edits intact. Be aware, though, that not all effects in Premiere will carry over into After Effects, so those might not be maintained.

Each additional time that you select one or more clips in Premiere and replace them with a dynamically-linked After Effects composition, it will create a new comp in After Effects, with each of the clips that you had selected appearing inside that comp as its own layer or layers (depending on whether you sent audio as well). The only way to have all of them appear in the same composition is to select all of the clips at once, rather than doing it in stages.

Return to posts index

nader subaihRe: Pr Pro link to Ae issues-CS6
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:42:09 pm

Thank you Robert for taking the time to reply.
I have tried your suggested tip, which is actually what I have been doing all along. The issue for me is that I am getting one comp that contain a single comp for each clip in my selected timeline:

I am not getting the results you idicated "This will create a single composition in After Effects with each clip represented by two layers (one video, one audio) and your edits intact" which is exactly what I want the end result to be.
and you are right, all my Ultra Key work in Pr did not transfer to Ae, but I could live with this.

Hope this sheds more light at the issue I am facing.

Thanks for any help

Nader

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2012 at 7:32:59 pm

Thanks for adding the screenshots. This does shed some more light, and I can understand why this would be frustrating. So far I haven't been able to duplicate the issue. Every time I create a dynamic link, After Effects gives me one composition with multiple layers as a results. I suspect there's a setting somewhere that's causing it to react differently for you, but I'm just not sure yet what it is.

Confirm one thing for me, just to double-check that we're not using different methods for creating the Dynamic Link. Describe in a detailed, step-by-step list how you created your sequence in Premiere Pro, what types of clips you have there, and what exact steps you're taking to create the Dynamic Link.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2012 at 8:37:07 pm

Thanks Robert for your reply.
I have decided to start from scratch in Pr and Ae and keep things as simple as possible. Here are the steps I took, which resulted in the same issue.
1- I create a sequence in Pr from the sample video ships with windows. it is an wmv file. I usually use MTS from my HD cam.
2- I area selected the single clips in the timeline.
3- Right click and "Replace with AE Comp" (going to file>DL>Replace with AE Comp gives same results.

4-Ae opens and asks to save the project.

5. Comp appear with a sub-comp which includes the wmv clip. No audio file although Ram Preview plays sound.

Results in Pr Pro:

I looked for Dynamic link setting but not sure if there is such thing.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Nader

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:01:10 pm

Very strange. I still can't duplicate the issue. You're on a PC, and I'm using the Mac version. It's possible there's a difference in the way the PC version handles dynamic link, but I'm not sure. Someone else who uses Premiere Pro and AE on a PC would need to chime in and confirm that. I just can't get it to do the same thing that you're describing.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:10:56 pm

Really thanks for trying. What I did is that installed trial versions on my windows laptop of both AE and PR, and it worked as it should!!
So clearly there is a problem with my settings, either in Ae or Pr. I Is there a way to default all settings to original without re-installing?
Thanks
Nader

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:22:41 pm

Did a reset for AE and Pr and all works as it should. Will not know why it was doing this, I am sure the is a sitting for those who want such a result, but after spending 2 days on it, I am not sure I care. Happy to go back to editing :)
Thanks a lot Robert.
Nader

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:39:14 pm

Glad you got the problem solved, if not completely figured out! Now I'll probably be stuck poking around the settings for the next couple of days trying to find where it was changed. If you do happen to stumble across the setting, you should post the information back here for other people who might come across the issue.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2012 at 10:14:26 pm

Hi Robert. Here is a quick update. While the problem is solved in that I can create new projects in Pr that would probably link to Ae. Result:

The project that I need to work on is still having the same issue!!
In other words, this is a project issue and not a general settings issue, and I am guessing it has its roots in Pr and not Ae.
A "save as" for the project is carrying with it the issue, so that did not help. The project setting are the default, which worked with new projects I created.
The project is relatively large at 31GB ( I Shoot at 1080P 60FPS)
I wonder if there is a way to take all the work on it and move it to a clean project? maybe that could get rid of issue the current project has?
I am open to any other suggestions.
Thanks.
Nader

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 2:55:44 pm

Have you ruled out the possibility of it being specific to the footage you're using? Here's what I would try next:
1. Create a new project with the same settings that are being used on your current project.
2. Import a portion of the clips you're using in your current project into the new project.
3. In your current project, attempt to send a specific set of clips to an AE composition and confirm the problem still exists.
4. In your new project, create a sequence with the same settings and create an identical section on that timeline.
5. Attempt to send the exact same set of clips to an AE composition using your new project and new sequence and see if the same thing happens.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2012 at 9:21:47 pm

Thank you Robert.
I have done exactly what you asked and this is the results I got.
Adding the same exact footage to the project with the issue, and creating new sequences from them from the project, works like a charm. same exact settings. So I ruled out that this has to do with the footage itself. I created a new project and imported a sequence from the project with this issue and surprisingly the problem carried over.
I took the footage offline and re-linked it, even moving its folder to another HDD. I renamed it, and did a "Replace footage" and still I had the problem. I tried auto saved versions of the project, too. same results. Somehow, Pr/Ae know that the original files should create comps, and I was not able to trick it to take a fresh look at them.
I gave up in the end, and decided to recreate one of the sequences which will be edited the most in Ae. So in the original project with the issue, i imported the same footage in a new bin, and using editing date (in and outs) of the original sequence, I recreated the sequence on a video track below the original. I kept checking that new footage don't have the same problem by doing "Replace with Ae composition" for every couple of clips I add and edit. and there was not issue.

All along I tried to ignore the fact that I am redoing a work the I already did with the same footage I used before. mind you that even original footage that I imported but did not use in any of the sequences, had the same problem...very strange.

In the end, I selected all footage in the sequence and did a replace thinking finally I well work on the effects, and to to my horror, some of the footage were composition.

Nothing special about the footage that turned to comp, I hardly edited any of it. I replaced the footage in Pr with the same footage, which are exactly the same, and then it worked!! However, this time I did not import it again to Pr, but used what I recently imported, and that worked. So at least I do not have to import again. Yet, at what point did Pr or Ae decide that this footage should become its own comp is beyond me.
At this point I was convinced this is a glitch, and I decided to uninstall both Pr and Ae and delete all preferences and cach, and re installed. This changed nothing when opening the projects.
Now what I am doing is carefully adding footage in the sequence, and then replacing it with Ae comp immediately. And moving on to importing and adding new footage. It is a long and tedious process, but I was left no choice
One note, I noticed that when AE/Pr decide that this clip should become a comp, it takes more time to appear in the new comp in Ae, while adding them as layers happens very quickly.

Sorry for the long reply and thanks again.

Nader

Return to posts index

by on Nov 2, 2012 at 11:02:00 am

I have found the sloution Thanks to Fuzzy Barsik on Adobe Ae forums. link below:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4818156#4818156

Return to posts index

Travis MattesonRe: Pr Pro link to Ae issues-CS6
by on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:54:08 pm

Just want to say I'm so happy this forum came up and a solution was found because I just ran into this problem and was banging my head against a wall trying to figure it out.

Just to clarify the solution "Right-click your clips in PrPro timeline and check if 'Scale to Frame Size' option is ticked for them"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]