ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can you sync an audio editor with AE? (How can we match audio?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Thomas
Can you sync an audio editor with AE? (How can we match audio?)
on Sep 11, 2012 at 7:32:26 pm

Matching Audio to animation (and vise versa) is a nightmare in After Effects. But I don't blame it, it's not an audio editor.

Splitting layers and editing audio outside of AE is not an option.

There needs to be a way to sync timelines with an extranal editor. In the audio world there is something called "Re-wire" where you can sync two audio apps together. Is there anything that works with AE?

What is normal work-flow for this sorta thing?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can you sync an audio editor with AE? (How can we match audio?)
on Sep 11, 2012 at 8:52:27 pm

Nope. Sorry. As you say, AE isn't an audio app.

The best you can hope for is to export a wav or aiff file of the audio used in AE.

If you HAVE to be that precise -- and I don't know why -- you could give the audio guy the audio, and him sync everything to the video. As for myself, I've always found that using audio for reference only works just fine, and I can tweak it in the video editing application. This includes lip-sync audio, mind you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Thomas
on Sep 11, 2012 at 11:30:42 pm

Thanks Dave,

This project is about syncing animation up to a Voice over. The voice artist spoke too fast on some parts, so I may want to extend the end of a sentence before the next sentence starts. It's very common and I don't think it's unusual at all.

Think of a Pixar movie. The voice actor does not make one take, the audio parts must be synced to the animation. For the timing to be right you need to have cuts in the audio.

It would be nice to have a simple non-destructive slice tool that splits a clip, sorta like what happens in a multitrack editor. But I guess this is asking too much.

The only solution to me is to slice every sentence and phrase of your voice over and import the separate clips into AE. The you can move the clips around.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Sep 12, 2012 at 6:47:28 am

Mr. Thomas

For syncing a voice over in After Effects, you can first use Adobe Premiere to Transcribe your speech to text which is in metadata window.

Give a look to this video:

You can transfer this XMP metadata to After Effects which will help for syncing graphics with audio.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

Blog:
http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Demo Reel(3D):

Return to posts index

Robert Headrick
on Sep 13, 2012 at 4:50:04 pm

It sounds to me like your animation is complete and you won't be changing it any more, and the only problem left is syncing audio. If that's the case, I would say do it outside of AE in something like Final Cut or Premiere that can handle audio better than AE and provides the non-destructive slicing capability that you're wanting. Export your AE comp to ProRes or another uncompressed codec, bring that into your NLE, then splice and re-time audio from there.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 16, 2012 at 6:43:53 pm

[Mark Thomas] "Think of a Pixar movie. The voice actor does not make one take, the audio parts must be synced to the animation. For the timing to be right you need to have cuts in the audio."

...which is something done PRIOR to the AE work, not DURING the AE work. I'm certain you can make that adjustment to your workflow, which will result if a far more satisfactory outcome.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]