ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

90s style zooming

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Alderson90s style zooming
by on May 14, 2014 at 7:56:13 am

Hi there,

I am making a music video very similar to Technotronic's Pump Up the Jam:

I am trying to do a similar rapid zoom effect as is seen at 0:15 in that video a few times the way through.
Is the best way to do this simply automate the scale of the people in my video? I have tried this and it looks okay but not exact.
any ideas?

Thanks,
Sammy

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 90s style zooming
by on May 14, 2014 at 11:57:14 am

IMO, that was done in front of blue screen and was just a in-camera snap zoom...basically just wrenching the zoom back and forth quickly---I did camera work back in the 90's, that was a cool thing to do back then. :)

If you are doing it in post, yes, you would animate the scale, and turn on motion blur for the layer and composition. Then press cntl+K to access your comp settings, click the advanced tab and adjust the motion blur settings. Shutter angle and phase are the one's you really want to adjust. Shutter angle will increase the blur, phase sort of the direction of the blur(not exactly, but adjust it, you'll see).

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Sam AldersonRe: 90s style zooming
by on May 14, 2014 at 10:50:33 pm

beautiful! thanks that sounds perfect! yeah Ideally I would have done the zooming as I was filming but I dont know any cameras that can zoom in and out at that speed!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 90s style zooming
by on May 15, 2014 at 2:43:56 am

For the camera, you want to turn off the zoom controls(if you can). Then you just crank it real quick by hand, otherwise known as a snap-zoom.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]