ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How much RAM to buy for my iMac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victoria MurphyHow much RAM to buy for my iMac
by on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:34:00 pm

Hi. I am working on an AE project on a 27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7. I am using AE CS5.5.

I want to increase my RAM from 4 gigs to either 16 or 32. I understand from an Apple tech support person that my processor can only make use of 16 gigs. Yet someone at crucial.com said that my computer can make use of 32 gigs. Who is correct?

I need a fair amount of processing power for my project. I am stacking up to 12 layers of video, using the beam effect and masks, both of which move around a fair amount. Would you agree that I should get as much RAM as my computer can make use of? (Crucial offers 32 gigs for around $200, so I can afford it.)

PS I understand that if I install non-Apple RAM, I should keep my Apple RAM and switch it in if I have to take my iMac in for servicing, as using non-Apple RAM voids the warranty. I also understand that I have to be careful when installing it, making sure there is no static electricity in the computer. (I may hire someone to do this for me.)

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How much RAM to buy for my iMac
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 4:51:30 am

I think your iMac has 8 cores (4 physical, but 8 with hyper threading), so 16 gb would probably be enough... But if $200 won't break you, I think I might just go ahead max it out (yes, it can use 32gb)

As far as paying someone... First check out an installation video:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

I think most users can handle this upgrade

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Victoria MurphyRe: How much RAM to buy for my iMac
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:57:12 pm

Thanks, Kevin. I think I will get the 32. I will also watch the installation video for which you provided the link. I am somewhat handy so I may well do it myself.

Regards,
Victoria

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: How much RAM to buy for my iMac
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 5:13:35 pm

hi victoria, i'm pretty sure you'll be able to handle the ram upgarde.

once you've upgraded, you'll also want to check out todd kopriva's memory and multiprocessing settings tips here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jos WabekeRe: How much RAM to buy for my iMac
by on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:42:03 pm

2 gigs per thread is generally a good rule. Remember: don't buy your ram from apple either! Unless you have too much money and need to get rid of it.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 1:25:31 am

Jos, My banker told me that I was running out of room in my bank account and that I should get rid of some money, so I figure I'll by some RAM from Apple. Oh, wait, my banker was talking to his fellow banker, not me. I will buy from Crucial (!).

Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 29, 2012 at 1:22:47 am

Thanks, Kevin. This will be very helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]