ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shatter Glass Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Armando Dela Cruz
Shatter Glass Effect
on Aug 26, 2012 at 10:53:19 am

I'm an aspiring graphics artist, and I've been wondering for a year now if it's possible to emulate the Final Destination 5 title sequence broken glass effect?

This is what I want to achieve:

I'm on a deadline and I really want to create this effect. :) Thanks in advance cows! :D

Moviephile? Let's be friends.
Follow my blog.
http://thefilmpolice.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Shatter Glass Effect
on Aug 26, 2012 at 4:32:15 pm

If you are just learning this is a high intermediate project to tackle, but still doable.

First off here are a few tutorials, you should check out to familiarize yourself with the techniques needed to accomplish this.

Basic Shatter(an oldie, but provides a good foundation for understand shatt...

Custom Shatter Maps

Shattering Glass Tutorial-good tutorial using shatter

So I attempted to recreate the project from the opening credits in your link. Step 1 was to create a pre-comp(PC_Text) with the text fading & scaling up.

Next I grabbed an explosion still from the web and quickly animated it in its own precomp(PC_Explosion). Obviously if you were doing this for a real set of credits you would want to buy some explosion footage to use.

I also found some broken glass and dropped that into a precomp(PC_Shatter Map) to use as a custom shatter map. In my project I created to final compositions, one using the shatter map(it's VERY rough, creating your own will produce MUCH BETTER results) and one using AE's default glass shatter map.

Create a final comp and drop all the precomps into it. Apply the effect Simulation -> Shatter to your PC_Text Layer. The first thing I do when working with shatter is twirl open force and move the "Depth" position to a positive number so it's not breaking anything(it defaults to 0 which explodes the layer.) Next, position the force to where you want it to start breaking the layer and adjust the "Radius" to an appropriate size.

Change the "Shape" to either Glass or Custom. If you are using your own custom shatter map, you will also need to change the "Custom Shatter Map" pulldown.

The next step is to match the Force to your explosion(or whatever object you using to break the layer) by animating the "Depth" of the layer. Positives Numbers are move the force backwards, negative numbers move it forward---you can add a camera to the scene and rotate it around to see how this works(just change "Camera System to "Comp Camera". Lastly, adjust the Force 1-Strength parameter to change the strength of the explosion.

The rest of the project you will find a lot of parameters you will now adjust to taste. Shape Repetitions and Extrusion will control how many pieces you have and the thickness of them(I used different sizes in my projects, based on how it looked). Physics--in my project to match the movie I turned gravity down to .25. Under Textures I chose for the "Side" to use Color + Opacity and used the color white and adjusted the opacity between .5 and .75

Lastly I added a light and animated it's intensity as the shatter happens. If you don't animate the intensity the light will show up before the shatter occurs, I only want my light to provide highlights on the pieces as they explode so I quickly ramp it up as my shards are moving. Finally I went back to the Shatter effect and adjusted the "Materials" to provide the highligts.

Here's my project, hope you find it helpful: 4585_shatterexamplefolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Armando Dela Cruz
on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:59:51 am

Sincerest thanks for your humongous effort. I'll try to achieve the effect, though I haven't really been able to open your project file. For some reason.

Correct, I'm beginning as a graphics artist (and just shifted from Vegas to After Effects as a video editor). So some beginner links (except Andrew Kramer tutorials) will be of great help.

Thanks and good luck with your endeavors.

Follow my blog.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 27, 2012 at 1:14:34 pm

Which version of AE are you using. I saved it to a CS5.5 and CS6 format. I could go back to CS5 when I get home, but if you follow the steps you should be able to work it out. If you run into problems, just come back here and we will see what we can do to help you out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Armando Dela Cruz
on Aug 28, 2012 at 3:02:47 pm

Yeah, have CS5 when I bought it. Figured I could use the version for starters since I've only moved from Vegas.

Follow my blog.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 28, 2012 at 5:14:29 pm

I'll post you a CS5 version tonight, hope you will find it useful.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 28, 2012 at 9:47:37 pm

Here you go, just place this file into the folder with the others and everything should link up.

4593_shattercs5.0.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]