ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is there a way to create simple background for text layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hawk Phil
Is there a way to create simple background for text layer?
on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:36:29 am

I just want to create a rectangle area around the text as the background of the text layer. That's it. Very simple. I don't want to create a text layer and then another rectangle layer. The reason is I want the spacing between the rectangle border and the text the same. How do I do this? Or is it better to do in Photoshop and then bring over?

Return to posts index

Hawk Phil
Re: Is there a way to create simple background for text layer?
on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:54:19 am

Any help?

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
on Aug 24, 2012 at 7:17:59 am

Mr. Phil

To make your text at the center of your bg(or Rectangle) :

1. Press ( ' ) apostrophe.(Enable your grid)
2. Disable Live Update Button.(Bring your wireframe while moving text)
3. Now you can put your text layer at the center with same space between rectangle and Text.

Check the while moving the text and when wireframe is visible, the two diagonals bisect each other. Use that ponit as center.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

http://digieffects.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Hawk Phil
on Aug 24, 2012 at 7:41:25 am

Hi Vishesh,

Thanks for the response but actually I am looking for an automated way to have text background color, regardless of text length. For example, if I make PRESS THIS as the text, I like the background (blue) with same spacer to the border of the blue rectangle:
http://typekit.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/31.png?w=560&h=204

Then if I make copy and change the text to CANCEL or HELLO, etc... the background blue should still be relative to inner text.

Is there a way to do this?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:10:14 pm

Actually did a little looking around and this isn't that easy to automate. I had thought an expression might be able to be linked from the height and width of a text layer to a shape layer, but apparently text doesn't have a physical height and width to use. I haven't seen an automated way of doing what you are asking yet.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]