ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

importing image sequence: images resizing autonomously?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tomas Kempimporting image sequence: images resizing autonomously?
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 8:12:44 pm

I've been working on some animation in AE CS6, a component of which will be a looping image sequence, made and exported as PNG from Illustrator - it's something i've done before although not in as an ambitious way as I will be with this project. However, when trying to import a draft image sequence into AE to work with, an error ( i think ) keeps happening which i'd like to solve or understand.

Currently when i go to import file, choose the first png [currently just testing a 12 frame loop, labelled f2 to f13] and check 'PNG sequence', after import the first frame is always stretched slightly wider than all the other frames - so the the loop won't work. pretty sure the PNG itself is the right size, from checking the pixel count - also i tried importing with 'force alphabetical order' and all the frames were the right size. However, forcing alphabetical order strangely arranges them in the wrong sequence...

obviously i could manually resize the first frame after import but as i'll be importing a lot of separate image sequences i'd rather know what's up - so a way either to fix the resizing, or an explanation of how forcing alphabetical order can put things out of order! unless im missing something really obvious.

thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: importing image sequence: images resizing autonomously?
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 2:55:17 pm

Is there a specific reason for using Illustrator to create PNG files?

Have you double-checked the sizes of all the Illustrator artboards?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tomas KempRe: importing image sequence: images resizing autonomously?
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:16:23 pm

thanks for the reply - i'm making the animations from some vector based drawings, redrawn over different layers and exported out separately - I realise making them in flash would perhaps make more sense/be more efficient, but having never used it, and only needing several looping animations, I thought Illustrator would be do-able, and better for getting the kind of illustration style i'm looking for overall. will check the artboards again, but out of interest, what is the difference in function between forcing alphabetisation and unforcing it?

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: importing image sequence: images resizing autonomously?
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 6:36:42 pm

Force alphabetical order is used when you have missing frames in your sequence. It will automatically skip the missing frames and import the image sequence without any break as one footage.

If you are having problem with the size of frame, then go to Edit>Preferences>Import or Press "Cntrl/Cmnd + Alt/Opt + ;" to open preferences and go to import.

Now make sure "Length of the composition" is selected and try to import as "Drag Import Multiple Items as : Composition - Retain Layer Size". May be this will work.

Vishesh Arora
VFX and Motion Graphics Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved