ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Effects and preset list stopped updating

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Andrade
Effects and preset list stopped updating
on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:38:49 am

I've added effects before. And I even refreshed my list. I closed the program and rebooted the program. I've never come across this before. Any new plugins will not show up.

Anyone else come across this same problem? My only option at this point is reinstalling the app which I am trying to avoid. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Effects and preset list stopped updating
on Aug 13, 2012 at 1:48:40 pm

You might want to try deleting your preferences before you do a total re-install. If you're on a Machold down the Command + Option + Shift keys as you start After Effects, this will allow you to delete the corrupt preference file. On a PC its Control + Alt + Shift.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave Andrade
on Aug 13, 2012 at 8:28:25 pm

John,

No dice. I really had hope for that option too. I did reset the preferences, and I saw the name of the preset flash by while it was loading, but...nothing. Still very strange.

Unfortunately, I guess I will have to re-install. Eh, shouldn't take long...things could be worse :) Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dave Andrade
on Aug 14, 2012 at 7:58:24 pm

Update:

Come to find out there wasn't an actually issue as it was more just my interpretation of events.

I downloaded a plugin from frischluft.com and it just wouldn't show up. Then I downloaded another plugin from another reputable site and that also didn't show up.

However, others did, and I even downloaded a free effect and that showed up. I did some further research and apparently the plugins are very specific in how they have to be installed. (In other words, they cannot just be thrown in a folder and it will automatically work.)

Anyway, good to know, and spreads a little light on custom made plugins.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 15, 2012 at 11:09:29 am

Glad you got it figured out. Hope it was before the re-install.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]