ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Full Explanation of Effects & Presets

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon SpellsFull Explanation of Effects & Presets
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 9:57:35 pm

I was wondering if there is a place where I can get a full explanation of the effects & presets list. I love after effects and will be attending film school next year but i would like to have more of an idea of what each built-in effect does.

Thankx in advance

Jon Jon

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Full Explanation of Effects & Presets
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:23:05 pm

The first place I would recommend would be After Effects basics tutorials by Andrew Devis

This is a bit dated but it probably still covers 75% of the effects: The-After-Effects-Illusionist - you can get a used copy for 15.00 bucks.

They Meyer's books(find the newest editions) are also invaluable, got to have books.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Jon SpellsRe: Full Explanation of Effects & Presets
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:48:53 pm

Ok great. Thankx for the info!!!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 11, 2012 at 2:30:03 am

And of course there are 100's of great tutorials here at the COW. Enjoy learning AE and film, it's why most of us are here.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Full Explanation of Effects & Presets
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 11:33:03 am

---- and for clear and precise explanations of more advanced comps suggest 'video2brain' and for 'attitude' and 'creativity' suggest Andrew Kramer's tutorials on the videocopilot.net site --

------------- chris brett ---

Return to posts index

by on Mar 6, 2013 at 2:38:08 pm

Glad I could help

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Robert HeadrickRe: Full Explanation of Effects & Presets
by on Aug 12, 2012 at 6:26:11 pm

I'm guessing from your question that you're already somewhat familiar with the AE interface and how to use the program, but if you're in need of a solid introduction to using After Effects, I'd suggest checking out Andrew Kramer's "After Effects Basic Training." That's where I got my start.

Also, Google is your friend. If you want to try something new and can't figure out a way to do it, google the look you're trying to achieve. Chances are, somebody's posted a tutorial on how to do it or has asked the same question in a forum like this one.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Full Explanation of Effects & Presets
by on Aug 13, 2012 at 4:14:07 am

As far as books go, I highly recommend After Effects Visual Effects and Compositing Studio Techniques by Mark Christiansen.

Tutorials are okay, but from what I've seen they tend to "inspire" a lot of regurgitated effects. As long as you can approach them with a desire to determine the reasons behind the choices, rather than just following along, they can be very useful as well.

As for getting an explanation of effects, I can't think of a better place to go than the After Effects documentation:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/topics.html#dynamicpod_reference_11

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]