ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

My Motion Path WILL NOT Show -

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Jewhurst
My Motion Path WILL NOT Show -
on Aug 10, 2012 at 1:17:52 am

For the life of me, I don't understand it. I have AFX CS6, and I have gone through edit>pref>general>display>all key frames... Also have gone through View>view options>and ticked off all boxes. But my motion path will not show after I've made a few keyframes.

Anybody know what I am missing?

Thanks for any and all help, Cheers!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: My Motion Path WILL NOT Show -
on Aug 14, 2012 at 9:54:09 am

Which property are you animating and have you inadvertently switch off View Options for the Comp Panel (CTRL+SHIFT+H)?

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

James Jewhurst
on Aug 14, 2012 at 1:02:42 pm

No, that wasn't it. I learned that using a shape layer won't show the motion path, although is it supposed to? I made a regular comp and the motion path showed up, but in the shape layer, it does not. Thanks for your reply!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Aug 17, 2012 at 3:33:57 am

If you animated the layer using the Position property then you should see its path in the Comp Panel. Check that you're not using one of the Shape Layer's built-in transform properties to animate - there is no visible path for those.

What you can do is to animate using a Null layer and then linking the Shape Layer's built-in position to this Null with a simple Expression pick-whip.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Ryan Dawson
on Feb 18, 2015 at 10:39:24 pm

I know this is only like 2 years late, but I just ran into this, and wanted to post this in case anybody else came upon this thread looking for a possible solution.

My shape layer was in fact showing a path I just couldn't see it. I was looking at the anchor point of the shape itself and not the layer. I had a really small circle I had zoomed in to animate. I inadvertently moved the circle to the position I wanted to start my animation, and then when I animated the layer, the circle was about 500 pixels off the layer anchor point. The circle was far enough off the motion path I just couldn't see it on screen. Super derpy. That is all.

Return to posts index

Ramon Sandino
on Dec 1, 2017 at 12:53:07 am

This reply is also 2 years after yours, but I also ran into this issue and wanted to thank you for posting this. I've been looking for a solution for about 2 hours and just came accross your reply and it fixed it. I made an account just to thank both of you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]