ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cleaning up a panning shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Barrie
Cleaning up a panning shot
on Aug 8, 2012 at 3:37:00 pm

Hello folks!

I have a shot I'm trying to fix in After Effects of a Tennis Court that has a ton of cracks in it. The camera pans from right to left. I've tried multiple ways like tracking the court in Mocha and then applying the data to a Photoshop file which I touched up. However the results aren't the greatest and due to the pan it doesn't seem to match up by the end of the pan. Any thoughts on a better technique to doing this? I am new to Mocha as well so any tips and tutorials would be great as well.

Thanks,

Marcus.

Return to posts index

Vishesh Arora
Re: Cleaning up a panning shot
on Aug 8, 2012 at 3:59:39 pm

Mr. Barrie,
Just try to use the default AE motion tracker. While choosing the area to be tracked, select the "Lights" of middle pole. That will definitely work :)

I am a keen learner and am very keen on pursuing a career in the animation industry. My artistic skills are mostly self-
taught. I have a deep knowledge base of Photoshop, Maya, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas.

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Aug 8, 2012 at 4:35:30 pm

Hi Vishesh -

... nothing to do with this post but in response to your reply regarding my animation query...

........ if you are in the UK you might be interested in what I'm up to at the moment -- currently re-building my motion graphics / fx profile after taking a break for a bit and looking for new contacts - lots of industry experience - if interested please mail me direct at chris@studio3birmingham.com.

------------ all the best --

Chris Brett

Return to posts index

Marcus Barrie
on Aug 8, 2012 at 4:43:43 pm

Hi Vishesh,

Thanks for the response but this method doesn't work either. Due to the pan, the perspective of the court changes. Therefore the photoshop file doesn't fit anymore if I simply track the light.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 8, 2012 at 5:50:12 pm

Mocha's remove tool might work in this, but if I recall correctly it's only in the Mocha Pro.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Aug 8, 2012 at 6:14:43 pm

I will assume you don't have CS6 otherwise the camera tracker is quite good. You will run into problems (I think) until you match the distortion of the lens. Optics compensation might help for the photoshop file but it's pretty distorted. A lot of times you will have to manually fudge footage if you are tracking. I have yet to ever get a pure and awesome track from any program (AE, Maya, Matchmover, PfHoe pro/Track, Nuke, SynthEyes) without spending quite a lot of time re-solving, choosing different track points, manually tracking and generally freaking out. Matchmoving and tracking are about the perception of it looking right and fooling the viewer (who will not see the details we see for they don't know them like we do).

Helpful links:

http://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mochaAE
and of course youtube

And remember to always have patience as tracking takes some time, and sometimes liquor helps the pain.

-Keith

Return to posts index

Marcus Barrie
on Aug 9, 2012 at 4:21:20 pm

Hey guys,

Thought I'd update you all. I downloaded the trial of Mocha Pro and watched a few videos and tried to clean it up using the Remove tool. Check out my results. I think it turned out pretty well and it's fairly simple to use. Might just purchase it!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:08:27 pm

Looks good. Mocha Pro is pretty amazing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]