ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mask in a PreComp less than 100% scaled

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos ZapaterMask in a PreComp less than 100% scaled
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 10:22:10 am

Hi guys.

I'm trying to apply a mask to a precomp that is previously animated in scale. Seems that AE doesn't like this as I cannot even put a mask point different than the first one. The only way to apply a mask is if the precomp is set to 100% scale but that doesn't fit my needs as I want the mask size to be set when the precomp is at a certain scale.

To picture the scenario:

I have the precomp scale animated from 0% to 23% and I want to apply a mask using this precomp size (23%) as reference. Later I will modify the precomp settings ("canvas" to understand better) to make it larger to fit the empty space of a matte in the "mother" comp and will also add another scale keyframe to make it bigger but the mask will be already set up to retain proportions. As I said, when I try to put mask points when precomp is at 23% it is impossible to put more than one.

Any ideas to solve this?

Return to posts index

Carlos ZapaterRe: Mask in a PreComp less than 100% scaled
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 10:34:05 am

I have finally solved it deleting the first keyframe (the one setting the precomp to 0%) applying the mask and then puting the keyframe again but it was weird because when I was trying to apply the mask the precomp was at 23% and I couldn't apply it...

It would be interesting to know if some of you had the same issue.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Mask in a PreComp less than 100% scaled
by on Aug 6, 2012 at 11:30:17 am

Hi -

- could just be one of those weird glitches that happens -

- I'm pretty new to this but I get weird things once in a while as well and I just poke it around a bit until it behaves ( when I can )

---- this might sound a bit un-technical but sometimes its not worth trying to work out the underlying reason ( and sometimes I reckon nobody knows ....... )

I've worked on Flint for years and its the same on that - sometimes weird things just happen....

It will be interesting to see if anybody has a more technical explanation - theres certainly a lot of detail to learn when using this app.

Chris Brett / U K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved