ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Diagonal Rotation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eduardo UlrichDiagonal Rotation
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 10:32:40 am

Greetings everyone,

so i'm trying to rotate a 3d layer diagonally in After effects cs6.

I what to create a folding animation with the corner of the page folding inwards, but when i adjust the anchor point it's pointing to the center of the comp, instead of the x axis pointing straight out.
In 3d software you can just reset the position of the axis when you move a layer, regarding the camera position. I should point out that 'm not using a camera, since the only 3d'ish effect is this folding.

I'm sure it's something incredibly basic that i'm missing, so if anyone could show me the light it would be great.

Cheers,
Ed

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Diagonal Rotation
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 1:21:40 pm

If I read that correctly you want to adjust the axis of the layer. You can do this using the Pan Behind(Anchor Point)tool. Select your layer and press "Y" to activate the tool, now you can move your anchor point.

Note that if you already have position or anchor point keyframes, it's going to mess them up, so it's best to set your anchor point first.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Eduardo UlrichRe: Diagonal Rotation
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 3:05:18 pm

Hey there,

Yeah i realize i didn't explain myself in a clear manner, so let me try again:

i want rotate a layer ,in this case the top right corner of an image that i have masked, diagonally toward the center of the image, the point of this is to feel like i'm folding it.

please ignore the rest of what i wrote before, because i think if you can answer the question above it'll answer it anyway :)

Thanks for the reply anyway.
Cheers

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2012 at 5:40:14 pm

So more like the layer is bending?

There are a few ways to do this in AE, bezier warp, the new bend layers mode in CS6 or the CC Page Turn effect. Sounds like CC Page turn is what you want.

For more complicated bends you would need something like 3D Warps from Zaxwerks.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2012 at 6:29:29 pm

I just want the top corner of the page to follow a path like a folding page would

So i have a duplicated layer, with a mask and an inverted mask, i did this so i could, After resetting the anchor point, rotate the layer , diagonally in order for the top corner to be facing the center, the problem is the keyframes generated are amazingly weird, and useless.

Sorry for such bad descriptions, but im trying my best short of filming the issue and posting it...which unfortunately is not an option...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Robert HeadrickRe: Diagonal Rotation
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 7:28:33 pm

John is right as far as what you should be trying if you're looking to do a page turn effect. Creating a duplicate layer and then rotating it is just going to look like you broke a piece off and it's spinning, it won't look like the entire layer is a page that's turning. I would start with the CC Page Turn effect and see if that gives you what you're looking for.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Diagonal Rotation
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 9:59:03 pm

If you're set on a diagonal rotation with a hard fold then the only option I'm aware of would be creating a 3D Null object and orienting it so that it's X-axis (or one of its axes) lies along the fold.

Optionally ou could make this Null a child of the main (non-folding) page.

Parent the Folding portion of the page to the Null object and rotate the Null on it's X-axis (or whichever axis you chose to place along the fold).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Aug 4, 2012 at 12:42:47 pm

Hey Darby,

From what i understand, what you wrote is exactly what i want to do, but i just can't get it to work, because after i parent the corner mask with the null object with the x axis along the fold, and rotate it, it still rotates the corner layer in its own x axis...

I'm definitly a newby in after effects, so i'm sure something is missing something obvious.

I've uploaded an example with the issue i'm facing-AE CS6

4496_foldtest.aep.zip

Thanks for your patience so far people.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 4, 2012 at 2:10:45 pm

Here's my attempt at trying to create the fold. What I did was moved my axis point first, rotated the page -45 degrees, then moved it into place in the top corner, then made a mask that fit into that corner.

I added the red page, just so you could see how I did it. 4498_foldtestjcattempt..aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Diagonal Rotation
by on Aug 5, 2012 at 12:04:28 am

Your Null object has some unnecessary transformations that are causing problems with the fold.

Unparent the Corner layer from the Null temporarily. Now parent the Null to the Page layer. Make sure that ALL of the Orientation values on the Null are zero'd out except the Z orientation (the 3rd value).

Now also make sure that the Null is on the same plane as the Page layer by checking the position value of the Null. Set the Null's Z-position value to 0, this will make the Null coplanar with the Page layer. If the Null is not coplanar with the Page then when you rotate it on its X-axis the Corner layer will rotate out away from the Page layer.

Get the X-axis set up properly by moving the Null in the X and Y only, and the orientation by adjusting the Z only, then parent the Corner layer to the Null again and try your rotation.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2012 at 12:39:58 am

That did it!!!

I CAN'T thank you enough, i just couldn't figure it out...if you are ever in Portugal do tell and i'll buy you a good bottle of wine :)

Thanks everyone for your patience, and again sorry for not being clear about what i wanted to achieve.

Thanks Again John and Darby for your answers, really grateful.

Cheers,
Ed

Return to posts index

by on Dec 8, 2012 at 3:54:45 pm

Glad we could help

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]