ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Default 3D Camera Position is not front on

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott ClementsDefault 3D Camera Position is not front on
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 7:41:49 pm

Hi, I'm animating text in 3D and trying to do x and y rotation reveals on specific words. When I do a y rotation of +90 degrees, and look at it in front orthographic view, the text disappears, as it should (because it has no extrusion depth). However, when I put a 3D camera in the scene, I can see a great chunk of the text hanging in space, about to be rotated back to 0 degrees. I can manoeuvre the 3D camera so that I don't see the sliver on one word, but it's difficult to do this so that all the slivers for all the rotation words in a chunk of text are hidden. Why is the camera not operating in the same way as the orthographic front view? I guess it has something to do with lens size, but I have tried various lenses and can't seem to get the camera to stop showing the slivers. Is there any way to have a camera instantly behave like the front orthographic view?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Default 3D Camera Position is not front on
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 1:28:57 pm

From Darby Edelen

You can't render the Front view. You can, however, create a camera with a ridiculously long focal length (zoom) that would almost eliminate perspective. You could link the camera's Z position to its zoom:

x = thisComp.width / 2;

y = thisComp.height / 2;

z = -cameraOption.zoom;

Then keep increasing the zoom value until it looks close enough... or AE crashes (;

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Robert HeadrickRe: Default 3D Camera Position is not front on
by on Aug 3, 2012 at 7:41:24 pm

Alternatively, you could adjust your rotation values for each letter individually so that it rotates to exactly the point it needs to be to disappear from view, rather than setting it to 90 degrees and then trying to compensate with the camera. If you combine that with trimming the start of the layer to your first rotation keyframe, any slivers that do appear on that first frame won't matter because it will just feel like part of the reveal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved