ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Layer moves where I dont want it to after applying motion tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Smith
Layer moves where I dont want it to after applying motion tracking
on Jul 18, 2012 at 4:04:45 pm

OK here's an explanation of my project.

I have in the comp a bit of video in which I'm doing a sky replacement on since the sky was so blown out. Lets call this Video Layer

I have my image of the sky in a separate layer on top. I applied motion tracking to it so it moves with the scene. All is well. Now the one issue I had is that there is a tree sticking up into the sky, so I need to get that tree on top of the sky layer or else the sky is over the tree. So I duplicate the Video Layer and put it on top of the Sky layer.

I key out the white sky in this layer so now the tree looks like its in the foreground. Ah but theres another problem. In the shot is also a goalpost that ended up being very blow out as well, so when i key out the sky, the goalpost comes along with it. So I need to replace that goalpost.

In Photoshop, I selected just the goalpost from a screengrab and imported this image to use as a matte.

I set the goalpost over the image to where I want it. I motion tracked the original video layer again and applied it to the goalpost. When doing this, the image ends up far to the upper left from where I had it. If I move the layer back into position at the beginning of the comp where I want it, figuring the motion tracking data will compensate, it ends up going all over the place other than where I wanted it.

What am I doing wrong here, and how do i keep that goalpost layer where I want it?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Layer moves where I dont want it to after applying motion tracking
on Jul 18, 2012 at 4:54:31 pm

Adjust the goalpost layer's anchor point to get it into the proper position.

Since you've already tracked the sky layer, you could also parent the goalpost layer to the sky layer instead of doing an additional track.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]