ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Organising and archiving AE assests on drive(s)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brettOrganising and archiving AE assests on drive(s)
by on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:37:37 pm

Hi there

Reckon I've pretty much got my head round the AE basics however the one thing I'm still struggling to find an answer to is how to best organise project assets on the drive ( s ).

On Flint or Flame ( say ) this issue does not arise as all the footage sits on a dedicated RAID which has a software-organised library, complete with proxy images -- you just hit 'library' on the 'desktop' and up comes your beautifully laid out library display......

Obviously AE doesnt have this and I'm still trying to work out how to set things out so the structure is not too cumbersome and files dont get 'lost'......

I can see that I can make life a lot easier in AE by having ( say ) an AEP folder on a RAID and a series of sub-folders holding all the assets but am finding this a bit clunky, to say the least, and what I would like to do is have a folder for each AE project which holds the master .aep project-file plus all the assets which are self-referencing to that folder ......... the aep project-file will 'run' from its own discreet folder and reference the assets in that folder regardless of where the folder is placed on any computer.

Apart from being much less liable to accidental loss this would mean that I would be able to FTP AE jobs to other artists ( or clients ) in a single folder so that when the project file is opened it automatically references the assets from its own folder regardless of where it is stored on any computer -- this has clear advantages.

I'm totally puzzled as to how to do this at the moment so if anyone has any thoughts on this one I will be extremely grateful

Chris Brett / Birminghma / England

Return to posts index

Bob RootRe: Organising and archiving AE assests on drive(s)
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:02:09 pm

In your AE file drop-down menu there's an option called "Collect Files".
You can use this to gather all of your current project assets (including the AE file) into one folder on your hard drive.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Organising and archiving AE assests on drive(s)
by on Jul 15, 2012 at 2:04:02 pm

thanks Bob much appreciated -

- that has sorted it -

- all the best

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved