ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Clean up extra adobe files on hard drive

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
woodrow barstadClean up extra adobe files on hard drive
by on Jun 30, 2012 at 12:46:28 am

first experience with adobe .....real mess ...what files can be deleted and what will disrupt flow.....what should be on cu hard drive and what should go to external HD.... composites seem to be erratic in play back.... thanks WB
Adobe cs5.5
MAC OSX 10.6.8
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 20 GB

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Clean up extra adobe files on hard drive
by on Jun 30, 2012 at 3:50:49 am

AE isn't an editor, and playback is sporadic generally unless you do a RAM preview(press 0 on the number pad). Info and Links on RAM preview.

As far as what can be deleted, you only posted your system, we don't know what you are doing, what files you are using...

As you are new to AE Todd Kopriva of Adobe has a great list of references for getting started: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, & CS6)

Along with the links to Andrew Davis and the VideoCopilot series, I strongly recommend the book Creating Motion Graphics by Chris and Trish Meyers.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dale KutzeraRe: Clean up extra adobe files on hard drive
by on Jul 3, 2012 at 11:29:42 pm

I'm also learning AE, and everything I've read says to have the program on one drive (typically the internal drive), and elements on another drive (typically the external drive or secondary internal drive). The better the connection between this secondary drive and your main computer, the faster things will render. The fact that exported compositions don't play back smoothly also amazed me, but then the files are typically uncompressed and much larger and the typical computer doesn't have the horsepower to play such files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved