ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Copying Files from Project to Project?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Kutzera
Copying Files from Project to Project?
on Jun 28, 2012 at 2:32:40 am

I thought I could highlight a folder of elements in the Project panel, copy it, and then open a new project and past those elements into it. AE won't let me do that. Can this be done. I also tried this: in the new empty project I imported the other project file...which has the result of bringing on all the other files. I then deleted everything save for the elements I wanted...but then there were some linkage issues. So is there a way to take one folder of elements and bring it into a fresh project?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Copying Files from Project to Project?
on Jun 28, 2012 at 3:31:38 am

I'm not sure why you had a problem importing one project into another, I do that all the time without issue.

But you could try this, take the element you want to for your new project and put them in a folder in the project panel. Select the only the folder then go to File -> Reduce Project, everything but what's in the folder will be deleted.

Finally use the "Save As" and give it a new project name, your old project is unaffected and you have a new project with just the elements you wanted.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dale Kutzera
on Jun 28, 2012 at 1:27:40 pm

I don't have a problem importing one project into another. What I can't do is copy a folder of elements from one project and paste them into another. Your "file reduce" suggestion should do the trick...thanks!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 28, 2012 at 3:03:34 pm

I also tried this: in the new empty project I imported the other project file...which has the result of bringing on all the other files. I then deleted everything save for the elements I wanted....but then there were some linkage issues.

I was just referring to the issue of linkage issues. I don't generally run into that issue unless I have started moving things all over the place.

When I finish a project I do a little cleanup. First I reduce the project and then run a File -> Collect Footage. That duplicates my entire project(I'll delete the originals after), but then I have everything in one folder. Then I just move it to an archive and if I need to reference or use part of it, I can just bring it back and not have to worry about missing links.

Glad I was able to help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]