ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gib O'ConnorLoop:
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 1:50:47 pm

How do i loop an animation ? IE. I did the tut "Waving Flags" from Rob Mize 30 sec's long and then it stops.How do i make it loop, i mean, never ending waving flag ? As you know by now, i am still in a learning stage and like to know how things work.
@ John cuevas: Thank you for the link on the book "Motion Graphics" :)

Gib :)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Loop:
by on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:00:57 pm

Because offset turbulence drives the flag waving, the displacement map comp won't ever loop seamlessly(the fractal keeps moving and it will always be different). So the normal trick to create a seamless loop in this situation is to use a dissolve to hide that you are basically just starting the layer over again.

Here's a quick way to do it. Get The Loopmaker from AE scripts(if you want you can name a price of 0 for this script). Install the script, open up the Waving Flags comp and run the script on the "Displacement" layer. The layer will now have 2 keyframes, go to the second keyframe and move one frame backwards "page up". You should be at 27;28 now, press "n" to change your work area. Right click on the work area portion of the timeline and choose "Trim comp to work area" Finally change the "Displacement Loop" transfer mode back to Hardlight.

Go to your final comp and your "waving flags" comp will be a shorter than it was before, so will have to shorten it also. Now you should have a seamlessly looping flag. Using Rob Mize's original file, I updated it with a seamless loop. All that needs to be done is to trim the final comp to 27;28. So if you have any questions you should be able to check that out and figure it out.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved