what kind of animantion is this

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samya Chattopadhyay
what kind of animantion is this
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:02:39 pm

Hi there...

Cheers to everybody.

Please see the following link and let me know what kind of animation is this.

The typography is perhaps called dynamic typography...but what about the graphics? I guess it could be done in AE using puppet tool. But is there any special name given to it?

Can anybody tell me where can I find good tutorials for making this type of animation?

Thanks
Sam Chatterjee

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: what kind of animantion is this
on Jun 25, 2012 at 9:26:46 pm

I've generally heard it referred to as "kinetic typography". Here's a fairly simple tutorial about it:

Design Rhythmic Motion Typography in After Effects

..but what about the graphics? I guess it could be done in AE using puppet tool. But is there any special name given to it?

I'm not sure what you are referring to here. If you could reference a specific time in the video, that would be helpful.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Samya Chattopadhyay
on Jun 26, 2012 at 1:40:41 am

Hi John...

Thanks for your reply.

It's ..say...33 sec...where the white figures(alfa?)are dancing.
How to rig this kind of motion...simply using puppet tool and keframe or is there any other simpler way of doing it?

Cheers
Sam

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:48:04 am

The silhouettes of people look to me like white solid-color layers with track mattes, in which the track mattes are video footage of people moving---probably shot against a greenscreen so that the background could be knocked out and replaced with transparency.

... or they could be auto-traced masks over white solids... or made with any of a number of other techniques.

Regarding the kinetic typography: I really like Angie Taylor's video training series.
http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2011/09/15/kinetic-typography-course-by...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:55:07 am

I downloaded the file to be sure, but most likely that's just clip art. One layer of artwork is placed on screen for 3 frames, then another layer of artwork, then another. Each group of pictures(the left ones) are precomped and a slight scale animation is placed on them, but that's it. You could photograph friends on a green screen if you wanted original images...or just cut out pictures from a magazine and scan them, but there isn't anything really happening with the people.

Anyway, I downloaded the video and did a jpeg sequence of what's happening at 33 seconds. Take a look and when you watch it frame by frame you can see nothing going on except some slight scaling.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 26, 2012 at 11:03:38 am

Doh- I downloaded the video and made a jpeg sequence of the dancers for you. Here's the link.

4335_clipart.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:15:36 pm

Yes, it is called kinetic typography. If you put that phrase in YouTube you will see lots of examples. Those silhouettes of people come included with Apple's Motion 4. If you own FCP7 then you own Motion 4 and you can just snag them. If not you can do as suggested above or just purchase some silhouettes at places such as istochphoto.com or 123rf.com. There are tons of silhouettes to choose from.

Take a look at this kinetic typography video I did...silhouettes should look real familiar.

Best of luck and be sure to post your project on the COW when you are done.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]