ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

General Interface Questions for AEcs5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin RosemarkGeneral Interface Questions for AEcs5
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 7:33:42 pm

I am not really an avid AE user, haven't put it to much use in my practice but I am faced with some problems with using FCP for a large project I am working on and it was suggested to me I work in AE instead. I have some general Interface questions, I guess I will be framing them from the stand-point of a FCP(7) user so excuse me.

Generally speaking the job I have to do is sequence 8000 frames of animation, which are archived as a .psd. After they are sequenced I have to align each frame by hand to the previous frame to make sure that the viewing window isn't "floating around". This is a lot of work and want I want to know is how to best stream-line the process.

1) I figured out how to import 1 image as 1f, but the first glaring problem is that I cannot figure out how so simply drop all the sequential frames into a single track. Instead each frame creates a new track and that frame at the same time as the previous frame (meaning I have to move it ahead manually by 1f). In addition each frame has to be added to the track by hand, and when multiplying this action by 8000 this becomes very time consuming. (Here is a photo to illustrate my point.) Are there settings with in the system so I may import these .psd(s) into the timeline more like how FCP does it natively?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: General Interface Questions for AEcs5
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 7:46:12 pm

Make sure that when you are importing the image sequence you have the "Photoshop Sequence" check box selected at the bottom of the import dialog.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Nathan RogersRe: General Interface Questions for AEcs5
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 7:54:38 pm

Importing it as an image sequence would be my first recommendation. But if for some reason you want to be able to manipulate some of the frames independently, You can drop them all into a composition. move over one frame hit option+](or ctrl+] on PC) to make them all on frame long. Then right click with them all selected go to keyframe assit and select sequence layers. this will make you 8000 images a 8000 frame sequence, make sure to adjust your composition length and your done.

Nathan Rogers
Producer
Snitly Carr Advertising

Return to posts index

Dustin RosemarkRe: General Interface Questions for AEcs5
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:18:30 pm

THANKS NATHAN.

Yes I require being able to manipulate all frames independently, so I don't think that importing as an 'image sequence' will work (even though that is what it is). The issue being registry, the 'center' of the frame varying from frame to frame (not to mention issue like rotation)

I am not on my AE station at the moment but I was hoping for some clarity on your statement:

"You can drop them all into a composition"

I tried that at first by "selecting all" then drag + drop into the timeline. In FCP this would create a sequential numerical sequence in a single track/layer. In AE it creates a separate layer for each frame at the same timespace as all the rest. Can you walk me through the keystrokes in more detail for your plan-of-attack? I am not sure I grasped the concept as described.

Return to posts index

Nathan RogersRe: General Interface Questions for AEcs5
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:25:38 pm

After effects treats each piece as a separate layer so you will end up with 8000 layers in your comp. But don't worry about that it is all automated. Below is a quick tutorial about sequencing layers, he only uses 3 layers but the process is scalable to what you need.

if you have any other question feel free to let me know.

Nathan Rogers
Producer
Snitly Carr Advertising

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:40:40 pm

Genius! Thanks Nathan! That is exactly what I am looking for! A+ and a Gold Star for you today!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:57:24 pm

RESOLVED

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: General Interface Questions for AEcs5
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 7:52:23 pm

First, a terminology item -- they're not called tracks; they're called layers.

Second, if you import the PSDs as an image sequence [link] instead of as 8000 stills, you'll have a single element that behaves like a video clip, not a stack of stills.

Third, rather than manually moving each frame, you can use tracking to stabilize [link] the image over time. If you have CS5.5 or higher, you can use the Warp Stabilizer [link] to make this process simpler.

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

I especially recommend the Video Copilot "Basic Training" series that Todd links to.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:34:13 pm

THANKS WALTER!

I am very interested in learning more about the motion-tracking/stabilization you mentioned. After reviewing the link you sent me I am not sure it is applicable to solve my particular problem however. Maybe I can describe my problem and you can tell me if this tool is suited for my task.

In the process of digitizing the inter-positive of this animation the frames move slightly (left-right/up-down). All frames are the same size, but the 'center' of the frame is never the identical to the previous, causing the image to 'float around' or drift within the canvas/composition. I have printed each frame with an optical registry system (which remains uniform) to ensure that I can align the frames visually.

It is really hard to describe, but you can view the problem of "image drift" at this link:

http://blip.tv/newconstantine/blue-indian-3745382

especially as the image 'shakes' left to right at 00:15.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]