ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can I scrub the timeline in AE (CS4)?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Can I scrub the timeline in AE (CS4)?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:19:40 pm

Hi guys.
Sorry to post two back-to-back questions on the same forum. I'm completely new to After Effects, and (as I'm sure you know) it's a whopper of a program. I've watched many (many!) of the Lynda.com tutorials, but it was a lot to absorb. I'm wondering if I can click and drag (i.e. "scrub") the timeline. It seems I can't; rather, I have to click along the top of the timeline for an updated frame in the viewer window (if it's called "viewer"). This makes it pretty complicated in making adjustments to animations. Is there somewhere I can turn on scrubbing?
Thanks again!
Vic

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can I scrub the timeline in AE (CS4)?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 3:10:43 pm

Here's the short answer: no.

Here's a more elaborate answer: AE doesn't work like a video editing application. It was never intended to work like a video editing application. You have to learn new ways of working.

You'll probably want to read up on viewing and previewing:
http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/after-effects/using/previewing1.html

If you happen to read that you can use the space bar, ignore it. It stinks. Doesn't work well at all. Just forget it exists.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jun 18, 2012 at 3:48:11 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks so much for your help. I've been looking at the link you provided, and it indicates that scrubbing is possible. Specifically, it says:
Manually preview (scrub) video and audio
To manually preview (scrub) video in the Timeline panel or go to a specific frame, drag the current-time indicator.
However, when I try it, no go. What happens is that, after I release the mouse button, the preview jumps to that frame. But, the preview doesn't scrub (as you indicated it wouldn't).
It's odd that the link to the help page on Adobe's site says scrubbing can be done. Is this a glitch with the program? Or, did I misunderstand the instructions?
Thanks again.
Vic

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 18, 2012 at 4:46:47 pm

Okay, let me revise that. It's possible, but rarely practical, the same way as hitting the space bar is possible but rarely practical... and for the same reason.

AE has to render EACH AND EVERY FRAME and store it in memory. Thus, each frame you want to scrub must already have been rendered via RAM Preview.

On dead-simple comps it may work okay, but that's about it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:48:28 pm

Hi, again, Dave.

The closest thing (in fact, the only thing) that resembles scrubbing is when I click and hold the 'Next Frame' button (in the Preview window). That works pretty good, but I just wish there was a keyboard command to trigger it. I have to use the mouse and actually click on the button and hold it.

Other than that rather cumbersome ordeal, I don't see any other way that even remotely resembles scrubbing... or, for that matter, even single frame advance. And, even when a segment has already been renedered, makes no difference.

You said, "...each frame you want to scrub must already have been rendered via RAM Preview". It sounds like there's a way to scrub once rendered. But I don't see it.

Sorry about the confusion, but I really am confused. Can I ask: How do you work around it (scrubbing, I mean)?

Thank you again.
Vic

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:05:15 pm

Hi again!
I just did a search and found one of your previous posts, Dave. Anyways, even though I'm not exactly sure what's changed, I seem to be able to scrub, now. I just hold down the option key while scrubbing, and it works. I'm sure I tried every combination of Alt/Command/Control/Shift keys previously, and nothing seemed to work. In any case, your post helped me!
Thanks very much!
Oh, and maybe I'm in the Twilight Zone right now, or something, but it even seems to work without having rendered the frames. Awesome... hope it keeps working. :^)
Thanks again!
Vic

Return to posts index

Christian Reid
on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:01:18 pm

Actually I have faced the same problem before.

There is a kind of scrubing that sometimes stops working for me. Even then, the image renders in a very low quality, but for the purpose of pre-viewing the animation before RAM preview, it works. I usually make RAM previews every time, so the scrubing works very well with the rendered preview done.

The problem is something I haven't been able to find a button to toggle it on and off, but resetting the preferences has worked. Hold the CMND+SHIFT+OPTION very quickly after opening the application.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]