ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Which is preferred in 3D space, large layers spaced out widely from camera, or smaller layers closer to camera?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Bley
Which is preferred in 3D space, large layers spaced out widely from camera, or smaller layers closer to camera?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 4:21:33 am

Any advice regarding spacing layers (in 3D space); for example, is it 'better' to enlarge layers and spread them out greatly from camera movement, or keep things tighter and therefore smaller, closer to camera movement? Thanks!!

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Which is preferred in 3D space, large layers spaced out widely from camera, or smaller layers closer to camera?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:47:59 pm

There is no hard and fast rule to this, it will depends on your project, style and design.

That being said, I generally use larger layers spaced out farther, it's always easier to make a layer smaller than larger. I find it's easier to move a camera if I have larger layers, can space things farther apart and create long smoother moves. You can make those moves with smaller layers, but with everything packed close together I find it more difficult(I like to create the illusion of parallax and to do that with everything right next to each other is more challenging). Check out this tutorial from VideoCopilot to see some nice moves and parallax.

Of course you can only work with what you have and if a client provides you with small layers, that's what you got to use.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]