ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exported AE file is only 74 seconds but nearly 8 GB... (?)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Exported AE file is only 74 seconds but nearly 8 GB... (?)
on Jun 17, 2012 at 5:46:55 am

Hi folks,
I'm completely new to AE, and just created a very basic composition. When I exported it, two things happened that were weird:
1). Only the central part of the canvas was exported (i.e. a wide, wide margin... about 50%... was cropped off all the way around
2). The outputted file was HUGE. Nearly 8 gigs! FYI: I opened it in MPEG Streamclip and exported it as an AIC file with a 1920x1080 setting and the resulting file was a much more manageable 500 megs or so (of course, that file still had much of the image cropped off).
Any ideas what settings I need to change for a proper output file?
Thanks very much. I really appreciate any advice you can offer.
Vic

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Exported AE file is only 74 seconds but nearly 8 GB... (?)
on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:31:46 am

If you didn't set any export options it defaults to an uncompressed codec.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 17, 2012 at 4:13:01 pm

Tero is correct.

There's more information here:
"FAQ: Why is my output file huge...?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:41:26 pm

Thanks so much, Todd. That was very helpful, and I've saved it for future reference. I had a quick look but couldn't find the specific info I'm looking for. I'll read it in greater detail later on, as I'm currently in the middle of a project. In the meantime, have you any idea what my output settings should be when the file will be used for further post-production editing in Final Cut Express? I didn't see an output option for AIC. Is there a similar one that will give me a good-sized file for use in that particular editing program?
Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Vic

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 18, 2012 at 2:55:20 pm

[Vic Noseworthy] "...have you any idea what my output settings should be when the file will be used for further post-production editing in Final Cut Express?"

FCE can deal with only a very limited number of codecs, and that's because it isn't really intended for production. You'll have to find out what it can use, choose the least lossless option, and render accordingly. Or get delivery specifications from the person who will use it.

And it wouldn't hurt to read up on using the AE Render Queue either, I think. Get a look at this:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f...

...and this:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Learning AE isn't an experience that takes a couple of days. There are far too many ways the application will trick you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]