ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Stationary typography with dirty, dynamic, or organic blended animated skin

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rok PicassoStationary typography with dirty, dynamic, or organic blended animated skin
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:48:26 pm

Hello. What is a quick and efficient way to produce the effect of stationary typography (or even any graphic with fairly thin lines or foreign typography that must be produced in Photoshop first then imported as a vector graphic with transparency), which would have a dynamic, animated, and whether dirty or ethereal skin?

Let's say, for example, I'm using the effect "Orange Streaks" within the Synthetics effects folder. How do I turn it into a shape's or word's skin or background? Should it be applied to an Adjustment Layer? Or to a Solid? If Solid, should the color be dark, black, or white? I noticed that I had to put the Solid above the text in order to actually see effects while experimenting; is this always the case...solid layer with effect above the text? After that, what Blending mode(s) would be best? I noticed that Multiply was good, but too dark and made the text unreadable with the Orange Streaks effect, whereas Silhouette Luma blending mode produced the effect with readable text but lost the color (orange). How can I change the color in such a case?

Other than reducing the size of the Solid with Orange Streaks so it is only over the text or part targeted, is there a way to make that Solid apply only to a single layer (the one with the word or shape) rather than it affecting surrounding elements?

I had a problem with dynamic effects like Orange Streaks and Gold Ambiance...the animation (or evolution part?) kept starting seconds too late; so the word would appear, effect is dead for a couple of seconds, then it starts to animate. How can I make the effect animating or evolving from the Solid's or layer's very first frame?

Finally, any tip on giving the text a "dirty" and dynamic look for example, rather than the ethereal look of Orange Streaks and Gold Ambiance?

Many thanks for anyone taking the time to help and share tips.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stationary typography with dirty, dynamic, or organic blended animated skin
by on Jun 15, 2012 at 5:08:08 pm

It's tough to know what you're really after, because it's not in everyday After Effects terminology: it has its own arcane terminology, y'know.

But I THINK you may want to look at using Track Mattes to do what you seek. A text layer can be a track matte. Here's some info:

Don't worry if the help doesn't match your AE version; this stuff hasn't changed in decades.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved