ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to slowly reveal a cut-out circle shape in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georgina LordHow to slowly reveal a cut-out circle shape in After Effects
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:51:36 pm

I have a hollow circle layer which I have created in Photoshop. Just think along the lines of a big letter "O" with dots along the edges, like clock markings.

What I'd like to know is, in After Effects, how can I start off with a blank screen and then slowly reveal the circle layer, for example, if I wanted to show dots appearing on the screen going clockwise etc?

I suspect it's something to do with using animated masks, but try as I might I cant think of a way to animate the mask so that it would work the way I want it to. How do you slowly "reveal" a complicated layer shape like say a long, twisted piece of string?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to slowly reveal a cut-out circle shape in After Effects
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 7:33:57 pm

What I'd like to know is, in After Effects, how can I start off with a blank screen and then slowly reveal the circle layer, for example, if I wanted to show dots appearing on the screen going clockwise etc?

Use the Effect -> Transition -> Radial Wipe. Set the transition completion to 100% and change the Wipe to Conterclockwise. Now just animate from 100% to 0%

I suspect it's something to do with using animated masks, but try as I might I cant think of a way to animate the mask so that it would work the way I want it to. How do you slowly "reveal" a complicated layer shape like say a long, twisted piece of string?

For a long twisted piece of string, I would probably use Effect -> Generate -> Stroke and create or copy the mask path onto the layer and choose for that mask for the path and then change the paint style to "Reveal Original Image". Then just animate the End point of the stroke.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Georgina LordRe: How to slowly reveal a cut-out circle shape in After Effects
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:24:28 pm

Many thanks Johnny. I just looked at how to use stroke with path and this is obviously the way to go"

G.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to slowly reveal a cut-out circle shape in After Effects
by on Dec 15, 2012 at 1:48:48 pm

Glad I could help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]