ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shatter delay

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gib O'ConnorShatter delay
by on Jun 9, 2012 at 3:34:32 pm

Hi guys :)
I am a novice at using AE-CS6 and just managed to shatter a picture. Now my question is: How do i delay the shatter effect so the picture will stay a few sec's longer on screen before shattering ? It begins to shatter the moment i press the play button so i don't really see the picture.
2- Can i make the video go slower (i mean the shatter effect) so that it doesn't finish in just a few secs )
Many thanks in advance for your answers/help.

Gib :)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Shatter delay
by on Jun 9, 2012 at 9:42:27 pm

Since you are new to AE, I would strongly suggest you start here. The ones at video copilot and the series by Andrew Davis(from the COW) are both excellent.

Also here is a link to Basic Shatter: Introduction to the Shatter Effect

I am a novice at using AE-CS6 and just managed to shatter a picture. Now my question is: How do i delay the shatter effect so the picture will stay a few sec's longer on screen before shattering ? It begins to shatter the moment i press the play button so i don't really see the picture.

Shatter is created when the force hits the layer and in the "force/wireframe" view you can see it's already interacting with the layer(the force is blue, what your layer will shatter into is grey). Just twirl down "Force" and move it so it's not smashing into the layer, key frame it's position and it will explode the layer whenever you want. You can also move the force so it shatters your layer from different places, change it's size...

2- Can i make the video go slower (i mean the shatter effect) so that it doesn't finish in just a few secs )

There are 2 pretty easy ways to slow down shatter. Depending on how you want to slow it down you could twirl open they physics properties and play with either the viscosity(makes the what the pieces are moving through thicker) or adjust the gravity.

The other method would be to Time Remap or use Time Stretch. To do this you will create your entire shatter animation. Press "Shift + Cntl + C" to precompose your layer and "Move All Attributes" into the new layer. This in effect bakes your layer as if you have finished piece of video. Unlike a finished piece of video, you can later open up your Precomposition and make changes.

Time Remapping is pretty much what it says, you use keyframes to adjust the speed of a layer, faster/slower, speed up then slow down, go backwards. In your case you would want to slow down the layer, so first you would press "cntl + K" to open up your Comp settings and make the composition longer as you are going to slow things down and will need the comp to be a longer duration. Press "Ctnl + Alt + T". When you do that you a time remap is added to your selected layer and a start and end keyframe are placed. What you would want to do is add a keyframe before you shatter and one after.

Now to slow things down, grab the last keyframe and just move it down the timeline. If after your slowdown, you wanted time to go back to normal, you would grab the after the shatter keyframe and the last keyframe in the layer and move both of them at the same time. Here's a link to a basic Time Remap Tutorial

Finally, one other method would be to take your precomposed shatter layer, Go to Layer -> Time -> Time Stretch. If you want to slow it down, you use bigger numbers...so if you want it to play at half speed, your stretch would 200%(make the layer 100% longer...I know it seems backward).

Lastly, after you use Time Remap or Stretch Time, you can grab the end of you layer and just stretch it to the end of your composition, or just press "End" and then press "Alt + ]" to move the end of the layer to the Current Time Indicator.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Gib O'ConnorRe: Shatter delay
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 3:34:05 pm

@ John Cuevas, Thanks for your answer, but it is not realy what im looking for. As i wrote before, i am a total beginner at AE-CS6 and the links to the tutorials are for AE3 to AE5 and to advanced for me.In the clip attached in this message you will see what i mean and what i am trying to do.If you watch the clip, you don't really have the time to see what is on the pictur before it shatters. What i want is to look at the picture for about 3 -4 sec's before it shatters. If i twirl down Force, i do not see an option there to delay the chatter for a few sec's. Other possibility is that i am simply to dumb to understand ;)Anyway i just started learning, so it's all a bit chinese for me :)
Two links:
embed:

Comp 1-2.avi

Link: http://reels.creativecow.net/film/comp-12avi

I hope the links work.
Many thanks in advance for your answer/help.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 10, 2012 at 7:37:40 pm

Place your image/video into a new composition and apply the shatter effect. Leave the view on "Wireframe + Forces" for now and move the Current Time Indicator(CTI) to 4 seconds.

Twirl down "Force 1" and change the depth parameter to 1, this moves the force behind the layer. This is the force(object) that explodes the layer. Press the stop watch to set a keyframe. Now move the CTI 10 frames forward and change the depth to -1. This causes the force to break through your layer and explode it.

Notice in the settings, you can change the size of the force(Radius) and it's strength(How fast things will explode when impacted by the force).

As far as the tutorials I linked, they are all still relevant to AE and what you are trying to do. I understand that sometimes you need to accomplish something/project/deadline and might need to skip some learning steps, but you will absolutely grow to hate this program if you don't learn the basics. Try and take some time to look over the material and tutorials found here(Part 4 has links to Tutorials at the Cow and VideoCopilot and they are.... The one at VideoCopilot will have you up and with a basic understanding in a day or so.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

Gib O'ConnorRe: Shatter delay
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 10:35:15 pm

@ John Cuevas.
Thank you very much for the help John, this really did the trick and it worked just the way i wanted it to work. Off reading the link u added in ur answer.
Thanks again m8 :) Have a nice day/evening.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 25, 2012 at 4:07:58 pm

Glad I could help.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]