ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Rendering Times Seem Very Slow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Britt Dyer
After Effects Rendering Times Seem Very Slow
on Jun 6, 2012 at 1:52:37 pm

Hey all, I'm a newbie to AE - working on my first AE project using a template I purchased online - so I'll do my best to explain the project and issue. I typically used Apple Motion and never encountered the render times that I am getting in AE

First, Macbook Pro i7, 4cores 8GB of RAM

Project is a minute long, contains 6 video drop zones which I am using Quicktime files using the ProRes 422 codec. I used the prerendered project in the purchased template as well.

It is a very graphic intensive project with 3D animations, moves, reflections...the works. I'm trying to render at 1280x720, even smaller sizes choke the system.

I've hit the forums and have turned on Render Multiple Frames Simul., made 6.5 GB RAM available to AE and gave 2GB RAM allocation per background CPU.

Each time I try and render it says it is going to take usually over an hour for this 1 minute of footage. Is this normal? Can I speed this up at all? I need to be able to review it if I have to make changes and losing my computer for an hour or more at a time is difficult.

I'll keep poking around, but if anyone can help out I'd love to hear feedback.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: After Effects Rendering Times Seem Very Slow
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:51:59 pm

Depending on layers, effects, cameras & motion blur 1 hour might not be out of line. For example I created some opens (10 seconds) with faux reflections, cameras, lights, particles and effects-total of around 60 layers and the average render time was 38 minutes.

On an 8gig(6.5 available) system with 4 cores at best you are only going to be using 2 cores at 2gig allocation. You might want to drop the allocation to 1gig so you can use all your cores and leave a little more for the OS.

If you are working on setting up your project, I would render at draft quality and turn on Draft 3d(doesn't render lights, motion blur). That might save your time during your previews.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Britt Dyer
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:10:16 pm

OK, I was hoping that it might render more quickly as I noticed that Apple Motion Projects seem to be render quickly and that some settings changes might just be in effect. I guess this kind of intensive project in AE is just going to require long render times.

Shoot.

Is AE just a more powerful tool than Motion?

I'll try the recommendations on the draft mode to see if I can spit one out more quickly.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 6, 2012 at 6:18:03 pm

Y'know, I run a dual-quad-core Mac Pro with 8 gigs at work, and I almost NEVER use multiprocessing. I just don't have enough to do the job.

Try turning multiprocessing off and see what happens to your render times. And, as Johnny says, your render time may indeed be par for the course because of the complexity of the project.

The big differences between Motion and AE: Motion has a ton more canned cool-looking things than AE. But AE is an industry standard, and it's used on all kinds of computers. With motion, you're limited to Mac-land and a comparative handful of Motion enthusiasts. AE will be around for the long haul, but Motion? Flip a coin.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon Gudmunsen
on Aug 18, 2013 at 6:06:32 pm

Im running a 4gb windows 8, 64 bit 1tb laptop, brand new in january. Im trying to render 2 and a half minutes of a video at 720p with some audio reacting spectrum bars and a small amount of blurry particles from Trapcode Particular, only about 20 particles p/sec and its telling me its going to take 3 days. I have enabled multiprocessing leaving 0.75gb ram for bg apps, all 4 cores runnin in AE. Any pointers to reduce this huge rendering time?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 19, 2013 at 1:58:18 pm

Turn off the multiprocessing -- you don't have enough memory to take advantage of it. These days, 4 gigs is almost nothing. No kidding. Don't use any other kind of hardware acceleration, either.

I'm afraid you have a really underpowered machine and you're trying to do a lot with it. It's going to take time.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jon Gudmunsen
on Aug 19, 2013 at 3:09:20 pm

Sorry i have 8gb ram and quad core and AMD radeon graphics. I am still rendering these particles after 20 hours and its saying its going to be another 17 hours! For only 2 and a half minutes! Im going crazy lol

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]