ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Are scale changes intelligently combined when AE renders?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike cantor
Are scale changes intelligently combined when AE renders?
on Jun 4, 2012 at 5:38:26 pm

Will there be a difference in the final render between the following three cases, all of which have the total impact of scaling a piece of footage by 225%.

Case 1: A piece of footage is set to scale = 225%

Case 2: A piece of footage is set to scale = 150% and parented by a layer that scales at 150%

Case 3: Comp A contains a piece of footage scaled at 150%. Comp A is nested within Comp B, wherein it is scaled at 150%.

Thanks for any info you can offer on this.
-Mike

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Are scale changes intelligently combined when AE renders?
on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:19:39 pm

Wow, I'd say the difference if any would be miniscule. I'd also say you may not be even able to tell.

I've re-rendered comps due to misspelling -- the only change made -- and the render times have varied by as much as 45 seconds in a 1280x720 59.94 comp. Go figure.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mike cantor
on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:43:31 pm

Thanks Dave!

My question was more about the render result, not the time of rendering. Here is my I actual issue

I have a comp (call it "CompA") at 720 that contains footage that is scaled down to about 25%, which has a million tiny adjustments in the form of position changes, paint corrections, etc.

I want to recreate this comp at 1080. Of course the easiest thing to do would be to drop CompA into another comp and scale it up. But will I lose resolution this way? If the rendering engine sees footage that is scaled to 25% in one comp and then rescaled by %150 when that comp is nested in another comp, is it smart enough to do one scaling operation, or will do the 25% scale first (losing all that resolution) and then do the second scale?

Thats really the question I am asking for each of those three scenarios.

-mike

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 4, 2012 at 6:48:13 pm

Oh, there's a script that comes bundled with AE that allows you to do that. I've never had to use it, so I'm not familiar with the name. But you could look it up.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mike cantor
on Jun 4, 2012 at 8:11:59 pm

Thanks again, Dave. What would you suggest as search terms to look it up by?

-mc

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:39:44 am

[mike cantor] "I want to recreate this comp at 1080. Of course the easiest thing to do would be to drop CompA into another comp and scale it up. But will I lose resolution this way?"

Collapse Transformations is the AE feature you will want to look into - it should help under the conditions you've mentioned, ie concatenate transformations across more than one comp into a single execution. There are write-ups and tutorials at the COW on the subject.

As for the script that Dave alluded to, it's called ScaleComposition.jsx. You can access if via File>Scripts>ScaleComposition.jsx. Then set the appropriate value for the new comp. It's useful/important that you make a backup of the 720 comp so that you have access to the original.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

mike cantor
on Jun 5, 2012 at 2:15:11 am

Thanks so much! I'll take a look at both of those options. FYI I found a script that scale recursively. Don't know how well it works.

http://aescripts.com/recursive-scale-comp/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]