ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D effects on still photos, how is it being done?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein3D effects on still photos, how is it being done?
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 3:35:30 pm

I seem to be seeing a lot of still photos that have been turned into 3D shots. Ken Burns uses them on some of his shows, American Experience I believe, and others seem to have this effect a lot. Since my latest project will need a bunch of stills in it, how is this affect done? I don't need anyone to necessarily lay it out in step by step, but if there is some kind of tutorial that I can be pointed to it would be great. I just dont' know the name of the effect that I'm striving for, so it's hard to properly search on it.

I assume that done by layering in AE but that's about as far as I've got so far.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Al

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: 3D effects on still photos, how is it being done?
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 4:12:04 pm

I realize I probably need to clarify this post. I don't want to achieve the effect of needing 3D glasses to see the effect, but what I'm trying to get to is a multlayer depth on one photo, which I assume I would do by masking areas of the background. But the effect I'm describing then achieves a kind of depth of field that is somewhere between true 3D and a standard B&W still. Naturally I can't seem to find an example now that I want to show what I'm talking about (G). .

Hope this clarifies the question.

Al

Return to posts index

Syed Sharif AbdulRe: 3D effects on still photos, how is it being done?
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 5:10:21 pm

Hi Bergstein,
I'm not sure what u want to do, but I hope this link will help u.
You need Trapcode Particular to accomplish it.

Here's the link :
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/videos/redgianttv/item/21/

There's a project file u can download too there.

Regards,
AESheriff
http://aftereffectbasic.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2012 at 9:18:10 pm

Thanks AE.. I don't think that this is what I'm thinking of. None of the effects there seem like the ones I've seen. It is more like being able to take a standard old black and white photo, create layers for foreground, middle ground and background, and then do something to those layers so that you independently move, say the camera angle dolly right or left, and each independent layer could move as if in 3D. It doesn't need special glasses to get the effect, so it's not real 3D. The difference from just a normal mask is that the depth affect appears as if it has true depth to the picture.

Al

Return to posts index

Syed Sharif AbdulRe: 3D effects on still photos, how is it being done?
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 11:17:57 pm

Ok, now I understand what u want.
Here's the link. It might help u.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/virtual_3d_photos/

Regards,
AESheriff
http://aftereffectbasic.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index

by on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:02:08 am

That's the one. Thanks Syed! And I assume Andy, that's the same kind of tutorial. Looks simple enough, I'll just spend some time on this. You guys are great. I'll show you what I come up with when it happens.

Al

Return to posts index

Zeke PiperRe: 3D effects on still photos, how is it being done?
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 3:41:51 am

basically mask everything out in the photos u want to seperate in PS and have them on seperate layers then import the psd as layers drop them in the comp and turn on 3D switch for all of them and pull them apart in Z space set up a cam and go to town...it gets cool when you start adding other elements like skies, dust flares, etc. thats the quick and dirty version check out chad perkins tutorial on lynda also he shows you how to use displacement maps on the photos that really make the subjects pop

Return to posts index

Andy DaviesRe: 3D effects on still photos, how is it being done?
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 5:38:21 pm

It's covered in Richard Harrington's new book on MG's in CS5. I'm sure that's the technique you mean - all done with masking (easy in PS) and animating the foreground, mid and background in AE.. That the one?!

Andy

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2012 at 7:01:03 pm

Thanks Andy. I'll pick up his book, but also see if he's got it covered on Lynda.com. I'm doing some of his other lessons there. Now that I know where to start looking, that might be good.

I've looked at a lot of templates on the web, but none have that effect where you take a black and white, probably mask multiple layers of the photo and then do something to setup the depth effect with the various layers. Nothing fancy I'm sure.

Thanks again.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]