ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animation Workflow?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale KutzeraAnimation Workflow?
by on May 23, 2012 at 11:40:49 pm

I'm planning to animate a handful of characters with the puppet tool. Each one will be photographed individually against a green screen, then keyed and animated in AE, and finally grouped into a final comp with other figures. Is there a standard workflow on this sort of project? Namely, should I render each individual character and then import those movie files into a new comp, or just gather the individual puppet character comps into one master comp. I'm not sure if one way is easier that the other on my 3gh i3 iMac.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animation Workflow?
by on May 24, 2012 at 2:32:43 pm

[Dale Kutzera] "I'm planning to animate a handful of characters with the puppet tool. Each one will be photographed individually against a green screen, then keyed and animated in AE..."

At first blush, that's a puzzling way to go about it.

"Characters" implies artwork, which makes it appear that you're drawing something, pinning it to a green screen, then shooting stills. It would be good to know why you consider this as a better alternative to creating the artwork in Photoshop or Illustrator, then importing it into AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dale KutzeraRe: Animation Workflow?
by on May 24, 2012 at 3:26:15 pm

Thanks for the reply. To clarify, the characters are sculptures, not drawings. That's why I'm not creating them in AE. The puppet tool is a very easy way to mover their arms and legs.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2012 at 3:35:52 pm

Ah. To quote Roseanne Roseannadanna, "Well, that's different! Never Mind."

The plan sounds good. Good luck with it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dale KutzeraRe: Animation Workflow?
by on May 24, 2012 at 5:03:47 pm

The plan sounds good, but I'm still perfecting the work flow. It may be to create smaller files I export the individual characters as Prores HQ with a green background, then key out the green when I arrange several characters into a new comp.

Return to posts index

by on May 24, 2012 at 5:10:16 pm

It sounds like you have a still photography background, so here are a couple of tips for chroma keying success:

Keep the subject a minimum of six feet from the background to reduce the dreaded light spill. If the subject actually stands on the background, be prepared to create masks for the lower portions.

Light the subject and background separately, and keep the background lighting about two stops lower than the subject lighting.

Have fun.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]