ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keyed Subject clothing always flickering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan cazKeyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on May 17, 2012 at 4:14:45 pm

I have this reoccurring problem when I am using a green screen and that is when I remove the green and make the adjustments (with keylight)my subject has this flickering effect happening all the time. Especially in darker colors like blue jeans or a black shirt. It's like the pixels are flashing between dark and light over and over - an unintentional glitter effect. It looks nasty. I actually have better luck keying in premiere pro with the Ultra Key but it seems strange that it should work better than AE...

It's confusing because my Keylight "screen matte" shows the subject as solid white and the background as solid black so there isn't any transparency. This flickering isn't transparency but Im not sure what it is.

Is this a lighting issue or just over-tweaking the key. I try and adjust as little as possible.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on May 17, 2012 at 4:41:36 pm

you may be seeing keylight's despill efforts, where it tries to remove any green screen color that spills on the subject from the screen. this often looks a bit like noise that gets added to the subject.

to double check that that is the issue, toggle the 'view' from final result to intermediate and see if the problem persists (at the possible expense of green spill on the subject).

if you still want to suppress spill but try and lessen then noise that the spill suppression is causing, often setting the replacement method (in screen matte settings) from soft color to hard color can help.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

dan cazRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on May 17, 2012 at 5:04:41 pm

Thanks Kevin, you nailed it. That really cut the noise down.

I've seen lots of basic tutorials about keylight and keying in general but they all use these near perfect scenarios where the keying is a one-click solution. I would love to find some more advanced tuts on dealing with more problematic keying for all us young and poor folk lol.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on May 17, 2012 at 5:21:33 pm

the foundry has a users guide that has a procedural keying technique that can be pretty useful:

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/keylight/user-guides/

it essentially uses 2 instances of keylight, the first to create a core matte (it calls inside mask), the second to produce the key.

another good technique is aharon rabinowitz's 'super-tight junk mattes' technique that you can find in the ae tutorials here at the cow.

and you can use both techniques on the same key to really define the area that will be affected by keylight.

for more complex spill suppression situations, andrew devis also has a tutorial here.

you can also find several techniques and tutorials here (and on the web) for creating light wrap when you are compositing your keyed elements into a shot/scene, which will usually really help to make it look natural.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

dan cazRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on May 18, 2012 at 1:14:22 pm

Thanks I'll take a look at those!

Daniel Caza

Return to posts index

Chris LangRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on Sep 10, 2013 at 5:27:03 pm

Hi Kevin - I'm having the same issues with flickering even though I have a clean key. I'm using Final Cut Pro and Red Giant's Primatte Keyer Pro. Do you happen to know where I can find an equivalent option for "Replacement method" there? I'd like to try changing from soft color to hard and see if that helps.

Thanks!

http://www.Lifestreams.org

Return to posts index

Jordan SchmelzerRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on Nov 22, 2013 at 2:41:12 pm

yup, a simple change from soft colour to hard colour fixed the flicker issue for me. thanks!

Jordan Schmelzer, Editor/DP

Return to posts index

Randall SutherlandRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on Nov 13, 2015 at 3:00:31 pm

I use Breeze Software. What are the exact steps to eliminate flickering and hair (gray or blond) from disappearing into the background?
How do you go from soft to hard color - software - camera - how do you do this adjustment - step by step please?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated also - but please be exact as I'm just starting to grasp this idea.

Screen - lighting - software ? I need the best set up to eliminate these issues ASAP - HELP !

Randall

Return to posts index

Kylie DavisRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on Jun 19, 2015 at 12:02:17 am

Hi Kevin,

I'm experiencing the same problem in Premiere Pro and don't know how to use AE yet. Can I fix this without using AE? I can't see a screen matte setting (soft to hard colour) where I am in the keying effect in Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

James ClarkRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 4:15:30 pm

I'm having a similar issue with the final product that's rendered out of Premiere Pro CC through Media Encoder. I don't know if it's in the key that was done in AE or what but there are dancing white lights all over the talent. I changed the color from soft to source to hard in AE with no luck. I lowered the clip white and no dice there. Please help

https://vimeo.com/143854418

Return to posts index

Ellen YarbroughRe: Keyed Subject clothing always flickering
by on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:43:51 pm

Under "Screen Matte" go to "Screen Despot White". you'll find a selection called "replace Method", choose "Hard Color" and see what that does. It cleared my chunky video right up.

Ellen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]