ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text with silhouettes/stencils

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cassidy ClawsonText with silhouettes/stencils
by on May 11, 2012 at 7:51:13 am

Hello all,

I am trying to accomplish a relatively simple effect: static text is revealed as a colored rectangle slides over it. This is very easy to accomplish by setting the text layer on top of the shape layer, making the text white and setting the text layer blending mode to luma silhouette. Rad!

However, the revealed text is totally transparent because it is a cut from the shape. However, I want the revealed text to be gray with a 50% opacity.

What is the correct method for accomplishing this effect. All my ideas involve additional sliding shapes in additional comps and it seems like their must be a better way.

Link to screenshot that illustrates problem:

Return to posts index

Dan FredleyRe: Text with silhouettes/stencils
by on May 11, 2012 at 8:42:06 am

It sounds like you can mask it on by animating a mask path or instead of using silhouette blending mode you can put the rectangle over the text and set the text's track matte to alpha matte. Your blue arrow pointing to Nick Anderson's silhouette setting is right over the track matte setting.

Again, have the rectangle over the text before you set the track matte because it will automatically disable the rectangle's visibility. Then you can set the opacity and color of your text to whatever you want.

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

Cassidy ClawsonRe: Text with silhouettes/stencils
by on May 11, 2012 at 11:27:56 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response. That works to reveal the text as if I were using a mask, but the rectangle disappears. Even duplicating the moving rectangle layer and placing it at the top of the comp doesn't achieve the effect.

I accomplished what I was trying to do:

I did it by precomping the titles, then duplicating the movement of the large rectangle, setting it UNDER the silhouette/type comp, and setting the fill to purplish and opacity to fifty. I was trying to make the text pop over the background but still have a cool blending effect.

I'm new to AE - it just seems like there must be a better/simpler way? I'm going to need to do a bunch of these and I want it dialed in.

Thanks again :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved