ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotobrush stops after X frames?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian CampbellRotobrush stops after X frames?
by on May 10, 2012 at 8:08:44 pm

I've been trying to use the rotobrush and it works fine. I understand the concept of drawing the skeleton of the figure. It works fine, but when I push play to process subsequent frames it stalls after only a few and then goes into play mode sans any roto data (pink line dissapears). Is there a way to get it to stop when it loses the data? At this point I just hit stop asap and frame advance back back back and add more brushes.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Rotobrush stops after X frames?
by on May 11, 2012 at 1:26:54 pm

it sounds like rotobrush is working the way it's designed.

Rotobrush requires you to work in increments of 10 frames, check the roto, then work 10 more frames. You can change the span, but I wouldn't recommend that because your roto might get messed up and you end up doing more work going back and fixing it.

Rotobrush isn't that intutive, adobe has a tutorial and help on using it:

Some Adobe

AEtuts tutorial:

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Rotobrush stops after X frames?
by on May 21, 2012 at 12:42:08 am

To clarify the point that John made: After Effects will extend the span 20 frames each time you make a stroke. So, if you're working through a duration and making a corrective stroke at least once per 20 frames, everything just works continuously.

It's hard to imagine a circumstance in which you wouldn't make at least one corrective stroke per 20 frames, since Roto Brush isn't going to be perfect on its own analysis.

I recommend starting here to learn how to use Roto Brush:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved