ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

UN-rename/restore renamed footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben JordanUN-rename/restore renamed footage?
by on May 10, 2012 at 5:23:40 am

I've imported several layers of an Illustrator file, and renamed them in the *Project* window. Is there any way to see or restore the original imported name of any renamed footage?

I can see Illustrator name under the File Path column, but that not the original name as it was imported.

Return to posts index

Dan FredleyRe: UN-rename/restore renamed footage?
by on May 13, 2012 at 11:45:20 am

• Select the item in the project panel.
  • Then look at the top of your project panel and you'll see the name you gave the item.
  • Click on the name and you should see the layer number in parentheses
  • Manually retype the name in the project panel

That's the best I can do.

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

Ben JordanRe: UN-rename/restore renamed footage?
by on May 14, 2012 at 10:00:04 am

Thanks for your reply. It's actually just showing me the name I gave it (in parenthesis). Below you can see I've named it "1" and the dropdown is showing me which comps & layers in those comps (normal behavior), and the name that it is using in those comps (It's showing "1" on each because I have not re-named it in those comps).

I am trying to figure out which layer name it is in the Illustrator file, which has tons of layers. This happened also on a co-workers project, so I was hoping to figure out a way to retrieve that original imported name.

(You can see some of the other original names in the project area below the highlighted file. The one I accidentally renamed originally had a similar name, ##/NA map layers

I exported as an XMP in hopes it saved the original name in there, but it did not (at least not in human readable form!).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved