ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

h264 via AE or Media Encoder

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Rogersh264 via AE or Media Encoder
by on May 8, 2012 at 8:35:54 pm

I've read more than once that I should render my projects in After Effects in an uncompressed format and use Adobe Media Encoder for h264 files.

I already had an h264 render from After Effects done for a Vimeo upload. It was set up per vimeo compression specs (5 Mbps) and artifact-wise it's very clean. The color and contrast is a bit washed out though.

I ran it again through Media Encoder and the color is the same (flat), but the compression artifacts are horrible! On top of that, the file size is a bit bigger.

Any ideas why the compression artifacts are so much worse when I use Media Encoder, and why in both cases I'm losing contrast and color saturation?

Return to posts index

Dan FredleyRe: h264 via AE or Media Encoder
by on May 9, 2012 at 4:58:39 am

It sounds like you are compressing a compression, which is probably why you are getting such bad artifacts. Do uncompressed from AE then run it through Media Encoder. I would actually suggest compressing it with MPEG Streamclip--free from

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

Craig RogersRe: h264 via AE or Media Encoder
by on May 9, 2012 at 6:44:27 pm

I worded that badly. I took my uncompressed render and ran THAT through AME. It looked like dookie...and in either scenerio the color of my h264 renders are washed out. ???

I've noticed a considerable difference in the look of a video depending on the player playing it as well. They look more washed out played back with Quicktime. VLC player not so much.

Return to posts index

Craig RogersRe: h264 via AE or Media Encoder
by on May 9, 2012 at 11:33:33 pm

I found this info regarding quicktime gamma issues. This "fix" did make my videos play back properly (gammawise), but this can't be the real issue, as 99.9% of quicktime users aren't going to know about this "fix".

How can the single most popular codec (h264) not work properly with the single most popular player (quicktime)? I'm baffled.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved