ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

video on the sides of my 3d cube

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephanie Johnsonvideo on the sides of my 3d cube
by on May 4, 2012 at 4:49:38 pm

How do I replace my place holder with video or another composition for a side of my cube?

I feel really stupid and really embarrassed to ask this question because I've been able to do this once before. Although it was just video and not a composition, I can't seem to do either now.

I recently had to replace my hard drive. Most everything seems to be fine, although I can't open up my original cube composition to see what I did. (The cube works just fine in my Premiere Pro timeline, but I can't see the AE composition steps.)

I found one of the tutorials I originally used, but it doesn't explain how to put the video in. I haven't yet found the other tutorial I used.

Does using an AE composition effect the use in a cube?

Can anyone please help?

Thank you.

Stephanie Johnson

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: video on the sides of my 3d cube
by on May 4, 2012 at 5:11:27 pm

I'd imagine you used square-pixel, perfectly-square solids to make your cube. You can do this:
  • Drag one of those solids from the Solids folder onto the Make Comp icon at the bottom of the project window.
  • Add your video footage to the new comp and adjust in & out points as necessary. Scale & position the video footage to taste.
  • If it works for you, rename this comp so that it makes sense to you. Personally, I'd use names like Left / Right / Front / Back / Bottom / Top.
  • Highlight this comp in the project window and Option-Drag (Alt-Drag Win?) it onto the desired layer in your original comp. The new comp replaces the desired layer on your cube.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved