ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Need to spin a drawing of a sun without moving it's placement in the comp.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stan Mendoza
Need to spin a drawing of a sun without moving it's placement in the comp.
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:33:06 pm

I understand how to use 3D and basic 3D but how do I spin the drawing without it moving its postion?

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: Need to spin a drawing of a sun without moving it's placement in the comp.
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:37:10 pm

You need to use the Pan(P) behind tool to move your anchor point to the center of the object you would like to rotate in 3d.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Stan Mendoza
on Apr 28, 2012 at 7:22:58 pm

John
Thanks for your help. It worked, I can spin the sun all day:)
Stan

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:02:53 pm

If you already have position keyframes for the drawing then moving the anchor point will mess up your animation. You could place a 3D null object in the center of your layer, then parent the layer to the null, then rotate the null.

One way to place the null at the exact layer's position at the exact time you want it to spin is to create the null, make it 3d, drag the null's parent pick whip to the sun layer. Type 0 (zero) in all position, rotation, orientation values of the null, then unparent it. Select "Local Axis mode" then drag the x and y axes to the center of your layer. If the anchor point z position of your layer is not 0 for some reason, then you'll have to take the negative value of the z coordinate to zero that out. Then parent the layer to the null and keyframe the null rotation values. This makes it better than just guessing where your layer is in 3D.

Kind of convoluted, but I use this process all the time.

Dan Fredley

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]