ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to Animate Web Searches/Facebook browsing/etc. in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ariel RitchinHow to Animate Web Searches/Facebook browsing/etc. in After Effects
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:24:33 pm

So I know the title of this post may be a bit confusing, but you have to see what I'm trying to do to answer this question.

Since I'm sure you've all seen it, I'll just use the Kony 2012 video as a reference point:

The best example of what I'm trying to figure out how to do occurs from 03:56 - 04:33

There's no way that this process is simple, but if anyone can point me to a good video tutorial that gets me going, what program I should be using, or even what this process/technique is called so that I can search more effectively, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Ariel

Return to posts index

David BiederbeckRe: How to Animate Web Searches/Facebook browsing/etc. in After Effects
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:14:48 am

I don't know that you are going to find a tutorial on it. I recently had to do the same thing and I proceeded as follows...

1. I took 8 Screen shots of one page down scrolls on a feed.
2. Took all images and combined them in photoshop in a large tall document...

I Animated the position in after effects of the scroll, and replaced a picture with a youtube looking video that was linked to the scrolling photoshop file. I animated a curser in AE to click on it, and zoomed into the location of the video.

Return to posts index

David BiederbeckRe: How to Animate Web Searches/Facebook browsing/etc. in After Effects
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:16:13 am

I've also just faked it with illustrator files/photoshop files as in here: https://vimeo.com/30987194

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to Animate Web Searches/Facebook browsing/etc. in After Effects
by on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:08:26 pm

You can use screen capture software to record people as they browse. Since you want good image quality, the file sizes of the clips are gigantic, and you have to edit them a lot.

Since people often like to zoom in to portions of a web page, a screen capture app probably won't support the resolution necessary to keep everything looking nice and sharp.

Finally, such animations are usually intended to show off something new: a new logo, a new feature on the page, etc. They may not be available as you record the browsing.

Those are just three more reasons to support the "fake your internet browsing" school of thought.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ariel RitchinRe: How to Animate Web Searches/Facebook browsing/etc. in After Effects
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:04:44 pm

I'll definitely give that a shot. Thanks a lot for taking the time.
Just a quick follow-up.. what screen capture app do you use?
I have iShowU HD.

Let me know what works best for you, and thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to Animate Web Searches/Facebook browsing/etc. in After Effects
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 5:24:35 pm

I'll start with a window grab of the web page; it may take several grabs if I need the whole page. I'll use iShowU to capture anything that moves. I almost NEVER scale beyond 100%, because everything starts getting soft.

If I need it bigger than it actually is, it's time to start faking & building a custom web page to fit my needs.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ariel RitchinRe: How to Animate Web Searches/Facebook browsing/etc. in After Effects
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:03:34 pm

hey man thanks a lot!
That makes a lot of sense I'll definitely give it a shot. I checked out your Leap Year Project vid.. really good idea and really well executed! Best of luck!

Return to posts index

Nathan KaramanskiRe: How to Animate Web Searches/Facebook browsing/etc. in After Effects
by on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:22:00 pm

I had the same issue. I would recommend using the firefox add on "Web2PDF" It basically takes any web page and turns it into an ultra high res PDF. You can then take it into photoshop and chop it up any way you want. I used it with this piece from the 00:10:00 to 00:17:00 second mark. I believe the plugin is free. http://www.web2pdfconvert.com/pdf-button#cid1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]